How high is your mileage? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How high is your mileage?
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:16 PM
Well my Z hit 234k tonight on the way home from work tonight. I was just curious what everyone else has on theirs. I mean if you really think about it our cars were not originally considered valuable back in the day. So I find it amazing how well they have weathered the ages. 26 years and still going strong!

Re: How high is your mileage?
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:39 PM
You still running yours as a daily driver too? LoL...I thought I was the only one still doing that!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:01 PM
Lol. Do people look at you weird when they ask what kind of car that is and you say It's a Cavalier. I get that quite a bit.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:14 PM
I never had one question me 'round here.Maybe because we still have about half a dozen Chevys or so running around here though....Even 1 - 2 headlight Wagon. I think I've got the only Pontiac left here though. There is one Turbo Coupe but the old Man never drives it though. Seen 1 very nice Skyhawk Sedan - looks like brand new. No Oldsmobiles except the Junkyard. Haven't seen a Cimarron in a long time now either. Absolutely no Z-24s or Hatchbacks or even "Verts here anywhere. Plenty of 2nd Gens rolling here though - all kinds.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:56 PM
205,000 for sunny.It sits mostly as the years go by and really just don't drive it bc my front axle seals leak and want fix that until I get the rear end work planned is done 1st.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:19 PM
My 98 cavalier has 210000 and counting. It is a winter only car now but starts up everytime without any problems. My 01 Z is at 108000, which is the warm weather car. Missing it already
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:56 AM
I have about 70k on my 84 Sunbird, still runs great. We store it for the winter.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:04 AM
It looks great Brian! Love the color!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:22 PM
113K on the mighty SkyHawk, mine is also a daily driver, 30 miles round trip to work. Got it with about 70K.\

Soon will be shopping for the wife's next car, then I can take the Hawk off the road for a little while while I do some work. Antifreeze/hoses, throttle body gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, new cat verter, install that strut tower bar, hopefully will have a sway bar by then and I'll get rid of those water catchers/rust creators known as wheel well trim. Depending on how bold my friends feel, we'll also be doing struts and shocks. With any luck, we'll also get the power locks to completely work (right now it takes a few tries for them to fully unlock, and forget trying to lock it). The power locks are a big want for me because I want to add a remote starter with door unlock. If we can get those working, I will then add insulation to the inner door between the door and the door panel (check out Gotelli Speed Shop in San Francisco for that--good people there, great prices on what I've looked at).

After that, off to the body shop to take care of some rust and hopefully I'll have enough money for the paint job!
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:36 PM
my odometer reads 554000k on it.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:40 PM
165K on the blue vert and I'm guessing 144K on the brown one (Title says 43K). But my 98 Saturn SL2 work car has 428K on it and it"s still going.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:14 PM
145k on my 84. I bought it with 81k on it back in 1990.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:26 PM
59980 but ruff miles

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:01 AM
203,000 on my '84 Cavalier. The engine was rebuilt in the 2000 when it had 164,000 miles on the clock. She's no longer a daily driver, she earned her retirement to her show car status. As I write this she is nicely covered up in the garage hibernating through a Michigan winter...Only a couple more months until April when I'll bring her out. The first nice day it reaches 60 degrees, she comes forth for a drive through the neighborhood...

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/images/0016/13/34/16083143_large.jpg
Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:21 AM
Got about the same miles out of my 2.0 in the blue Cav. Swapped the motor in 2011 with a donor 2.0 from an 84 Cav sedan with 53K on it. It was running great just a little tired and the clutch went, So it was a good time to make the swap.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:01 PM
One of mine has around 125,000, the other one has about 330,000.
Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:40 PM
my 86 skyhawk has 185000. it has a little blow-by but nothing to be concerned about yet. my wifes 86 cav rs convertable has had at least 3 digital dash swaps so im not really sure but my best guess is around 140000. from the sound of things on this post thats a spring chicken!
Friday, January 25, 2013 12:20 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:You still running yours as a daily driver too? LoL...I thought I was the only one still doing that!

I drive mine every day ! Drove her into work today !

~ Mike ~

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:34 PM
Wow there are some real high mileage freaks on here. I guess it just goes to show that if you maintane your car it will last literally a lifetime. Bye the way, nice wheels mike! I thought I was the only one Rollin' on 3rd gen wheels.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:10 AM
WOW Mike! I was shocked to see you wagon in the rough!! Your's has to be one of the last such original machines in this good a condition!

On the other hand I have to say my old wagon has been carrying me to and from work for the past 11 years in all the nasties the winter has thrown. these cars are really good in snow too! If it gets so bad I don't wanna get the wagon out in it, I just feel like I shouldn't be out in there anyways. The past few years , each spring I put the wagon up on stands all around and crawl under for a good look around. I check out the fuel and brake lines and root around for some rust I haven't seen. After that the next few weekends I'll put it back up again and drag a quart of Enamel from the local hardware store and commence to brushing anything I can get to that hasn't had a coat already. I've even treated the exhaust to some, seems to help a little even it is probably cosmetic. Each year it looks a little better under there, and that sure beats each year looking a little worse!

At the start of the year the wagon had just over 35K on the ODO , I have no idea if that is in addition to 200K or just 100K. It had 3,372 when I got it in August of '02. The Pontiac had 12,341 again, on it at the first of the year,no idea if that is in addition to 200K or just 100K. I didn't put but 1700 miles on it last year. One of these days I hope to get a carfax on them and see what it has to say. If I can keep the sheet metal hanging on them , they ought to last me a long time!!

I guess as long as you take good care of them and can afford to replace anything that goes down on them these cars ought to last as long as you want them too, at least till another careless driver runs into you, huh.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:30 AM
I have 260 000Km on 2.0 Liter, 5spd. Same engine/ trans only one clutch replacment.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:45 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:WOW Mike! I was shocked to see your wagon in the rough!! Your's has to be one of the last such original machines in this good a condition!

Yup Orlen, My wagon *is* in really good shape, but I bought it to drive it and I will do everything I can to keep it in as good shape as it is now for as long as possible.
I had Ziebart rustproof the rockers (inside and out), the lower halfs of the doors and tailgate, the front fenders and the rear quarter panels as well.
I clean the salt off of her every chance that I get, and I keep a good coat of wax on her.
I really love this wagon, but unfortunately it will never have any real value as far as collect-ability is concerned (unless you are a first gen Cav nut like me, of course), so I might as well get as much enjoyment I can out of her for as long as I possibly can !

~ Mike ~

Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:57 PM
My '86 hatchback currently has 120000 miles on it, still using it as a daily driver. Most of the motor is still stock aswell lol

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search