Pics from the salvage yard - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pics from the salvage yard
Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:40 PM
I came across 3 1st gen cars today at one of the local yards. I only snapped photos of 2 of them though due to my hands being frozen. I found an '86 Z24 vert, 84' sunbird GT, and a '84 J2000 4door. The J2000 was very clean I wish I had taken some photos of it.

This is my score from today's adventure.

Re: Pics from the salvage yard
Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:41 PM

Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:21 PM
Ahhh, the photos of a Hard Core 1st gen owner!! Bravin' those elements for the score!

You Go Josh!!

Nice score indeed, and when you have then installed and are using them you'll always be reminded of your efforts today!

Maybe next trip the weather might be a bit kinder for you lad!

Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:29 PM
Ok, So I'm scrolling down and see the digital dash. I think I better tell him to grab it. Don't need to, he's already got it. Good score Josh!

Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:29 PM
Yeah that yard is actually in Illinois across from Gateway Int. Raceway. The snow was worse than I thought it would be. There were 6 inch drifts in areas that made pulling my wagon a real chore.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:33 PM
I'm hoping the cluster is still good. I couldn't test it due to an engine fire but he only charged $15 for it so it seemed worth the risk.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:30 PM
Were they snowmobile at the Raceway today???

Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:15 PM
looks cool. The sunbird coupe appears to be an 86 or 87 with the later style bumper cover on the rear and the flares. The console is a nice score if you are thinking of going back. Was it a stick? If so, I could realy use the shift plate from that console - even if it is wet .

Clean Z24 - looks mostly there - good score on that dash.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:26 PM
Paul it could have been later. I'm not up to date on Pontiac J-body models. It was an automatic car. I would like to go back and raid that z some more. That is the first one I have come across with a power seat.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:52 PM
Josh, is the bracket around the bottom of the power seats, you know where the switch connects still there? I could really USE that plastic bracket on the drivers door. There is a picture of what I need on the 2nd page of the Cimmaron parts thread. If it's available, I'd gladly pay you for it and your time to pick it, of course if you're not gonna use it.

Walt Lewis
Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:33 PM
Walter, that bracket was still attached and as far as I can tell it didn't appear damaged.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:29 PM
Hi Josh!

Try and get Walter this small attachment to hold the the plastic bracket on while you are at it. Walter will need it to hold everything together. Try to save all the screws too, he'll probably need them as well.

Here are all the screw locations:

Just to give you a heads up, those power seats are a PIA if you can't get power to move them back and forward to clear the mounting nuts.
If the engine is burned up, I suggest you might be able to take a battery booster in with you, then you can cut the wiring under the seat and make a temporary connection long enough to move things around.
Also if the plastic shroud is still attached around the base, it is sometimes difficult to get this out of the way without busting it up. The on on the door side is a tight fit to put it mildly. Hope this will help keep your aggravation to a minimum! Happy Hunting!!

Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:53 PM
Thanks for the advice Orlen. I will try to make another trip up there this weekend.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:56 PM
In all honesty I wouldn't mind swiping the dash out of that car. It was near mint but I have never removed one. Anyone know how those come out?

Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:59 PM
This is what I use for windows and seats to get light weight 12V power in the junk yards. As Orlen says you need to move the seats to get the plastics off.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:00 PM
Josh Maloney wrote:Yeah that yard is actually in Illinois across from Gateway Int. Raceway. The snow was worse than I thought it would be. There were 6 inch drifts in areas that made pulling my wagon a real chore.

the fact that you found those cars at speedway in any sort of usable condition is a miracle in itself most of speedway's cars are wrecked pretty bad

for my cavalier i go to taylors in st louis they know me so well there i barely pay for anything i pulled a sway bar, mounts, bushings, links, strut brace from a vert, speakers, and a guage cluster and the guy only charged me 20 dollars. but they have quite a few first gens there too

im a third gen guy sorry guys
Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:03 PM
Nice finds for sure.Wish I could give you some insight on dash removal.However the one I wanted was crushed before I went back.I know it can be timely with all the controls,and screws and possible rivets to drill out I think.I am a touch tired 548miles today.I plan on doing a junkpile run this wk.I know there is a 87 bird sedan unless they crushed(however) they hold cars longer due to lack of them coming in.I will take my cam when I go.And you might want to grab the air cleaner if cowl inducted.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:18 PM
Jeremy,
Thats pretty good as my local yard that keeps older stuff is a ripoff. They have an unspoken rule of $25 for a minimum and $125 for
doors plus the glass if it is in it . You just never know what they will charge until you go to the counter and it depends on who you ask. And the older pre 90's stuff is about 350 yards from the shop, so just to up and ask before you remove it is chore.

But Hey it's the fun of the hunt!

Monday, February 04, 2013 4:55 AM
Josh I do know there are 2 bolts on either side and a bracket near the middle plus the screws at the top for the dash. No personal experience, but I've heard it takes some patience.

John, I Love your temp power supply!! Always a treat to learn something new!

Josh since you are in that deep, and will be moving the seat around, if all the motors are sound and you don't mind pulling the power seat base and switches, I'd be happy to buy them and and pay for the shipping. Sounds like you get reasonable prices where you are at and I might be in need of a spare! :-)

Happy Hunting!!

Monday, February 04, 2013 11:20 AM
I will check it out for you Orlen. I have to save that panel for Walter anyway. I am in need of a few parts myself so I wouldn't mind trading. I need a right side door glass run for a coup and I am also looking for console pocket without the storage slots.

Monday, February 04, 2013 2:18 PM
Josh I checked the 85 today and the pocket was the cassette style.. Bummer. I believe though they might have the console parts I need. I am still interested in the window sweep from you though. The ones on this car were beat. Ya think the door glass parts you need are the same in a convertable? You posted newgmparts.com I believe they still had a console pocket for like $50.00. pricey I know but if all else fails...

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:17 AM
I will grab the other window sweep for you Mike. The door glass run that I need can only be found on 2 door coup j-bodies. If you find one I believe you can remove it without taking out the glass. Just roll the window down and pull it straight up.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:15 PM
door glass run--do you mean that metal at the front side of the window that the window is jammed into?

I think I have one of those off a coupe I could send you; I'll have to look for it.
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:35 PM
Wayne its the rubber seal inside the window track that the window seals against.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search