85 Sunbird 1.8 Convertible- Runs bad when warm-- Help Please - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
85 Sunbird 1.8 Convertible- Runs bad when warm-- Help Please
Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:13 AM
I have a 85 Sunbird convertible LE. 1.8 OHC which I picked up last October. It is not my daily driver, but something my kids really like to ride in and it bring back some high school memories. And I really like this car a lot!!

It ran very well until a few weeks ago and started right up at first crank. No problems. Then about 3 weeks ago this started:
When I go to start it started giving me problems starting then I figure out something on how to start it. I have to turn the key 3 times to the on position count to 4 turn it off and then on the 4th time turn it all the way to crank and it starts.
It runs fine when started, with lots of power and no misses. It will continue to run well until it warms up and I put a little pressure on the engine like turn on the A/C or put in on the highway doing 70+ , just after 5-15 minutes of this it will start to miss and continue to get worse, then it will miss it also surges (the surging part actually feel like it is running normal but pretty much up and down). As if it had a bad plug or a bad wire.

The car appears as if it went through an overhaul from one of the 2 previous owners and there appears to be many new parts as well as a new head gasket.. I replaced the spark plug, wires and the dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump and filter. The car runs cold between 110- 130 and does not overheat. The engine light is NOT ON and it has never lit under these conditions. However I do know that the light does work. This car has an original 83K and almost everything has been replaced.

If it is a ignition module control. MAP or TBI should it show up on the on the Computer Command Control System test? (the one where you use a jumper wire to neutral and the engine light blinks a number of times to represent a fault code? Or can I use a OBD 1? to diagnose? I hope this does not sound stupd? I just cant figure this problem out.

I will post a picture, just as soon as I can figure out how.

Any thoughts what it could be?

Thank you

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/josehernandezmiami/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg

Re: 85 Sunbird 1.8 Convertible- Runs bad when warm-- Help Please
Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:26 AM
Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:17 AM
Hi Jose-

This an OHC an not a Turbo OHC car, right? To me, it sounds like you might have a few things going on. I will focus on the driveability one for now.

Starting - Your car should start right up and not require any games to get it started. Steps below may fix this or ma require additional work...

Driveability - Given that you sad it had a lot of work done, I would check the grounds. I am assuming you are failing in closed loop mode (5-15 min running). I would lean towards the distributor, but there are other sensors that can be heat sensitive that may play into it. My first step would be to get a distributor from a salvage yard and swap it out, set the timing and make note of any changes. Mine has failed this way a couple of times. You can get one off a 1.8 or 2.0 turbo or non-turbo.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:24 AM
Hello Paul,
Thank you very much for the feed back. I live in Miami and these junk yards don not hang on to old cars like mine and yours. I will start t looking at my grounds and checking each one.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/josehernandezmiami/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:02 AM
hey josh this tom i know this sound stupid but your engine should be running a little warmer try a new thearmostat 195 i have a 85 sunbird convert 1.8 ohc non turbo the thermostat is very easy and worth a try ps i will post some pics soon tom
Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:00 PM
Jose-

Thats why I mentioned the 2.0 interchange. 1.8s are few and far between in yards now.

Paul

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:48 AM
Paul,
Thanks, BTW ice red Sunbird Is your a 1.8 or a 2.0?

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:32 AM
1.8 Turbo.

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:38 AM
Jose Hernandez wrote:Your text to link here...Picture:

Pictures

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:59 PM
If you can't find a distributor I know I can get one,and if there not stupid expensive I will grab one thurs IF your interested and soley cost of part(what I pay) plus fedex ground shpg cost.Just let me know and I go from there.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:28 PM
Almost all parts stores carry them but you could also have a bad fuel pump. That's sounds like the issue I had with my car and today the pump died. All good now. Do a fuel pressure test.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:29 AM
Yep - that was next on my list...

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:58 AM
But he had said the pump was replaced...

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:57 AM
Lets think he has to turn key 3-4 times to get it to start (thinking fuel not getting to throttle body) . when it warms up it wont stay running . Im thinking vapor lock take gas cap off and see if it starts if it does get new gas cap.

[IMG]
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:54 PM
Not discounting the gas cap,or maybe some other factors.But my gm shop manual shows this,and kinda points to a distributor issue which in turns can cause the no fuel problem in the first place.I would go simple to isolate the problem.If the say ignition control module is going and or the timing is out of whack can make the distributor cut out.Not that my idea is correct but some extra thought on it.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:36 AM
Hello All,

I really appreciate all the help here!

In an earlier post Ron Love left me some great things to check out and slowly I have made a little progress. 1st I want to say that although I have not corrected the issue, I have located a distributor on Ebay and will leave that as my next step. I took off the EGR valve and cleaned it up. It was very clogged. once I reinstalled it, the car cranked right up! Go Figure? However now after 30 minutes of driving it still missed. so,I ordered an ignition control module and once that comes in I am hoping it will take care of the missing. Like I posted before, I installed a new fuel pump and that wasn't not the problem.

I will keep you posted- And Manny thanks for all your help.

Thank you Ron Love for offering to pick up a distributor!! Your a rare gentlemen!!
Jose

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:33 AM
Update:

I received the Ignition module just after my earlier post today. I ran out there and installed it , feeling confident that it would be the answer to my problem.. Took a test drive with the A/C on and Wham! same old problem. The missing and hissing and @!#$ty running started again and in less than 10 minutes.

What I have changed:

Fuel Pump
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Ignition Module
Cleaned up the ERG
and confirmed that the MAPI is working
Confirmed the the TPI is working.

Before I order a distributor can someone tell me if they have had this same issue?

Thanks
Jose

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:37 AM
Back to my first post. I never had a ECM bench test as bad, but swapping out the distributor as unit solved my problem in the past.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:44 AM
Paul,

It look s like I am moving in that direction,

Thank you.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:53 PM
Well at least upgrading and or changing old parts never hurts.At least you will have alot of new items and know what care has been done.Did you try and leave the vacumm line OFF the EGR and just run it.While cleaning helps alot IF the vacumm diaphram inside is losing vacumm it will create a real crappy running car once warm.I would at least humor yourself and try this and see if the problem goes away forever.If so time for a new egr unless the distributor is just losing it's luster once warm.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:34 AM
Hello Ron,

yea, I do agree at least I will know what new parts are on the car. I did try unplugging the EGR after and it did make a difference but for the worse.

I think Paul is correct there is a part in the distributor called the PICKUP COIL. from what I have found online this part often goes bad and the effects are felt when the engine heats up to normal operating temperature. It make since because, I removed the thermostat and the car ran much cooler and it did not act up for almost 30 minutes later (remember is was about 15 minutes before) when the pickup coil got hot.it causes what I am experiencing.

Can someone tell me how I can put a pic of my car in my signature in layman's terms ? I don't think I am getting it right...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:15 AM
Hello

Well I received the distribuitor today. Put it in and test drove the car.

Back to square 1

Still the same problem.

I am at whits end!! Dont know what to try next?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:37 PM
just a couple of things to check, pressure regulator ? fuel line, return line, make sure they are not kinked had this happen on my daughters car once and pulled most my hair out before i found it

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:33 PM
I was super busy today working inside and out.Knowing what you have done,is good and will ponder on this overnite.I am thinking too hard and I do feel the upgrades were a good choice and let me dig into my books.I can maybe narrow down suggestion list.Our tbi stuff does not have a schrader valve but,this can be added for low cost screw in deal.I will go back in the old post to share the link.I plan on buying this for sunny as I have rebuilt my tbi already.

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:01 AM
just throwing this out there, but you might want to check for a clogged cat. converter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search