85 Sunbird 1.8 Convertible- Runs bad when warm-- Help Please - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 85 Sunbird 1.8 Convertible- Runs bad when warm-- Help Please
Friday, February 22, 2013 5:00 AM
Given what I have seen so far (with swapping on the spark side) with no change in symptoms, I would start looking at fuel as was suggested earlier.
Ron - What is the procedure in the manual to test FP with the OHC? How tough is it to add the Schrader valve? I am spoiled because my turbo came with one right on the rail. I have a full weekend planned but will be working on my BIrd and can look into my manual and see what I can see.

Just curious, what kind of warranty did your fuel pump come with?

We are still with you Jose!

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:32 AM

Drum ROLL.............

ITs FIXED!! Yea, this one take the cake for sure. What a pain in the ass this was. I went to a couple of junk yards and spotted a coil off an 85 Fiero that is the same as mine. I swapped it out and it seems to have done the trick.

I really want to thank everyone for your help with this. Now I have to go and find a popping sound I get when I put this thing in gear and then when I sometimes step on the gas from a dead stop. I think something is loose.

Many Thanks
Jose

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/josehernandezmiami/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:09 AM
Glad to hear it.

Nice Work!

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:04 PM
Holy crap Jose I just read your pm to me and literally suggested replacing the coil(duh).Or rather asked if you had and may suggested replacing it due to symptoms.This is wayyyy to weird that I read your pm and ask/suggest just that part to come over in the forums and see well you swapped it and fixed the problem.Call me crazy but I must be psychic before reading post and make that suggestion not knowing.Now to try that on the lottery numbers.And paul I will recheck my book for the checking the fpr,and as for a non schrader valve daryl scott posted this in his tbi rebuild and just screws inline with the primary feed line on recall.I think but part is like dirt cheap 6.00 plus shpg.I am so going to do sunny once I do start working on it in a wk or two time pending.The shop manuals are spot on easy and good directions for checking.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:03 PM
On the popping when going into gear and or take off.I suggest go simple 1st being a automatic check your transmission mount from the trans to fender weld mount point.Specifically the mount itself is rubber and metal but,those mounts can shift IF the rubber is cracked at all and also check the motor mounts front and rear for any cracking in the mounts period.After all these yrs they can give way when any torque is put to them.I removed all 3 on my spare engine at the junkyard and the mounts were so so in condition.If those look OK we can take steps like checking the shifter linkage on the trans,and cv joints and so forth.I am tired long 530 miles today.Also may suggest considering changing your trans fluid and filter(I think those have a filter) idk being a manual guy.Done

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:50 AM
Hello Ron,

Hey I have to think things out myself sometimes LOL!! But hell you have been a great help! and Thank you. I have been running around in the convertible and so far so good. I need to get under it sometime this week to look at the mounts. I thought it maybe that too, but the pop sound is really close to the drivers side. I rocked the car back and fourth to see if it would pop and no luck. Weill keep you posted.

Again THANK YOU!

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/josehernandezmiami/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:05 PM
I had the same trouble some time ago with a v6 2.8.
When cold the engine goes very well. When hot, the hell was on it. It was missing on one cylinder.
I change many thing with no result. I finely found a sticky injector. when hot.
Hummm! like it
Alain
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search