Undercoat Reveal - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Undercoat Reveal
Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:36 PM
Here is what was hiding under 28 years of undercoat. I know the paint is not going to be perfect, but it has got to be better than that sticky crap under there.

For Comparison, here is a before pic - not the best angle but you get the idea.

Re: Undercoat Reveal
Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:01 PM
What was the purpose of that stuff to start with Paul? I can't imagine that there was concern of rust inside the engine bay where this stuff was. I remember Chevettes rotting out at their shock towers but they didn't have the plastic inner wheel well liners back then. I haven't ever noticed any photos of J-Bodies rusting here with or without this coating in this area. I have seen some 2nd Gens coming unglued in the rear at the towers, however. Don't remember any of this stuff back there where it might have been useful either.
Seems like if GM was that dedicated to rust inhibition this kind of treatment would have been invaluable down in the floor pans of the Convertibles!!
It certainly looks a whole lot better Paul!! You got and skin left on your fingers?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:15 PM
Looks good paul.My cav has zero crap on the shock towers just the paint.Idk why maybe gm dropped the idea bc I very seldom see under coat on any js on the front end engine bay area.Just greasy mess at most.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:14 PM
Probably depended on what states the cars are sold in. 80s was when the issues with rust were controlled by the government and manufactures had to garentee no rust for at least 3 or 5 years. Now different states get different undercoating and other protective stuff. Most southern states currently do not have near as much undercoating as northern states. I have seen cars already with no undercoating from the south.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, February 11, 2013 5:33 AM
Yep, mine received the undercoat package and the engine block heater (as part of the turbo package). Kinda ironic for a convertible eh?

Monday, February 11, 2013 4:06 PM
Yes, Must have been dependant on what state the car was sold in. My Blue Cav was sold in Derry, NH and got the Rusty Jones "lifetime warranty". Guess the car outlived Old Rust Jones . It has plenty of the that crap sprayed everywhere. It doesn't look pretty but I guess it got the job done.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:38 PM
My wagon had only the factory undercoating done (inner wheel wells, underside of rockers) but had seen no winters until this one.
A couple of months ago, I had Ziebart put the wax undercoating in my inside rockers, lower doors and hatch, the rear quarterpanels and front fenders, and I had them spray the black stuff on the underside of the rockers and re-shoot the wheel wells with it.
You basically can't see it anywhere unless you are on the underside of the car. I hope it helps keep my old girl rust-free, 'cause I plan on putting several winters on her!

~ Mike ~

Undercoat Reveal Update
Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:48 PM
Here is the completed passenger side:

And my start on the driver's side:

This has interrupted the reassembly, but it should look pretty nice once she all goes back together.

Re: Undercoat Reveal Update
Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:21 PM
WD40 and a very fine disposable scrubby pad are the key tools here, oh ya, and a rubbermaid pot scraper...

Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:20 PM
Looks good paul.So glad I do not have to endever in that in part of my resto work.One step towards your pretty engine bay.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:55 PM
Got any skin left on those hands???

Gonna need a new set of sunglasses for this coming summer Paul!!

First pop of the hood in the summer sun and you gonna be blinded!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:04 PM
One step at a time...

Saturday, March 09, 2013 12:42 PM
Updates - not doing the far fender/firewall corners right now as I can reach them when everything is back together.

Have the coil, getting the bracket coated then getting it back together.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 1:32 PM
Wow, Looks nice Paul!
How many hours do you have into the cleaning?

Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:07 PM
I replied earlier and seemed to have lost it

I have a few hours a weekend to spend on it. I heat the garage and go out at night. It seems I always run into more parts to be refinidhed or undercoat that needs to be removed. I am waiting for the coil bracket and pvc tubing to come back from qc coatings. Once I have that, the head and intake will go back on. I still have the following to do:

1) turbo gaskets and hot side powder cote
2) ds cv joint outer boot (leaking)
3) ac reinstall
4) bumper cover pull for repaint
5) top - prolly next year

I have a bunch of other car stuff to do:

1) 97 voyager ps pump
2) 08 uplander trans filter and fluid
3) 94 camaro o2 sensors

And the family, music lessons, scout stuff, and life in general make it a slow go. I am very happy with the progress on my 84. I wish I could find some "before" pics that showed how bad it really was.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:44 PM
Paul,
If the pump on the 97 Voyager is like the one in my wifes 05 Town and Country and making a winding noise. It could just be the reservoir, changed the reservoir and the van was like new. There are a couple of you tube videos on it.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 6:22 PM
Your makin' wonderful steady progress! Seems like that is the best course to take. One avoids burnout and the project continues to improve. If your like me, the "Rod in the Shop" wouldn't mean a thing without the family. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your kids grow up and find something to turn wrenches on themselves! ( Maybe an old Antique 3rd gen by then) Heck even the girls get greasy nowadays - I think it is wonderful!!

Sunday, March 10, 2013 8:02 PM
John-

Unfortunately, my 97 has the 3.3 with the ps pump on the bottom. It is actually rusted through the housing itself. I am going through a gallon of ps fluid every 2 weeks. Gotta love the component quality. I have never seen so many individual components have such poor quality on a vehicle. Overall, the package is very good though.

Hopefully fixing next weekend if the weather is good.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:38 AM
ok, well the Voyager is done. PS Pump became Transmission and PS Pump. The Job is done. Will be getting on the BIrd reassembly again this week.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:40 PM
I'm sure your glad that is over. My 2005 T+C has had more stupid stuff go wrong with it (the list is too long to post here). It is the first Chrysler I ever owned and will probably be the last. But that 3.8L is bullet proof and has some real get up and go for minivan.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:32 PM
ok, I did just need a few minutes...

Here is the refreshed coil and pc bracket. Looks a little better now...

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:38 PM
Nice touch! Shiny is always good.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:47 PM
ok, I have some updates. That stupid MOPAR is running fine but now the ps pressure hose is leaking -again RUSTED THROUGH.

Now onto some pics of some good GM stuff:

Water Jacket and T-Stat Neck

Head and Intake Manifold

Slow but steady...

Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:15 PM
WOW ....... Thats nice, it's amazing what hard work and paint can do!!!!

Good work there Paul!

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:46 AM
ok, got the right PS hose yesterday and I cleared my schedule.

Got the ps hose back on, heater hoses installed and finished all of the undercote cleaning my fingers can handle.

I was able to get the head and cam carrier back on. I still have to get the water crossover back on. Would have been easier to do before I put the head on but oh-well. Now I am fighting with exhaust manifold studs and deciding if I want to cote the whole exhaust manifold and turbo assembly. That will delay my assembly some, but should be well worth it. What do you guys think?

Rocker Arms

Top Back on

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search