Overflow Tank Cleaning / Replacement? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Overflow Tank Cleaning / Replacement?
Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:38 PM
Anyone know any tricks to clean an overflow tank that looks 28 years old? Is there a place to source a replacement?

Re: Overflow Tank Cleaning / Replacement?
Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:15 PM
Try degreaser and a toilet brush. You might have to shop around for one that has the bristles that will fit in the opening.
You can stuff a green scrubby inside and work that in the corners with a long screwdriver too.

...................................................................................

My woman has long ago given up on my idiosyncrasies so she is long since surprised to find me scrubbing miscellaneous auto parts in the kitchen sink or bathroom tub. She even caught me warming up steel wheels in the oven one day on a chilly fall day , I was speeding up some painting I was trying to get done. ( Really works good too)

Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:17 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:Anyone know any tricks to clean an overflow tank that looks 28 years old? Is there a place to source a replacement?

I got a new one with the cap for $35 I think from my local junk yard.

dennis
Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:12 PM
Paul I have cleaned one up for andrew p.I just scrubed the outside with scotch brite and soap and that strips the goo off the outside pretty good.I also soaked them in either lime away or evaporust (sold at napa,oriellys(for sure orieillys).I would def get a kitchen long handle brush that fits the opening and let the things I suggest soak some.The brush should clear the marks inside out pretty easy.I am almost sure none are available new like a oem specd one.Or at least I have yet to find them and I have searched.Hope this helps.The evaporust is very safe for plastic and cost me like 22.00 for a gallon and man this stuff works stupid awesome on rusted metal parts!!!!! I will share my pics later that I restored a rear r/p for a truck or really the bolts for it.

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:05 AM
I'll trade you my extra overflow tank for good washer tank.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:27 PM
Brake cleaner works pretty well. Plug the outlet somehow, spray a bunch in, and swish it around. I've also used a pressure washer with varying degrees of effectiveness. That requires the tank either to be bolted to the floor or something solid so it doesn't blow across the garage.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:57 AM
Lacquer thinner and acetone works pretty well too.
I've used 00 steel wool and lacquer thinner with great results on stained coolant overflow reservoirs on prior restorations I've done ! Just make sure to wear rubber gloves - that stuff is not a really great thing to allow to soak into your skin.

~ Mike ~

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:04 PM
Here is some work I did last wk and how it stripped the bolts clean and have not degreased just soaked over night in evaporust.The awesome with no elbow work.I bought this stuff from oreillys for 22.00 a gallon. The close up

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:24 PM
That's pretty nice. Did it flash at all after you did them? Or did you paint them quickly?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search