3.1 turbo on a first generation - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.1 turbo on a first generation
Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:11 AM
Hello guys,
i am looking to put a 3.1 turbo on my 1987 cavalier. I search in the old topics but find nothing.
I wish to have some informations and pictures of a 3.1 turbo in the car.
If the project is to hard to do....i will stand with my 3.1 mc laren with out the turbo.
Many thanks

Re: 3.1 turbo on a first generation
Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:29 PM
No 1st gens modded with a 3.1 turbo however there is this 2nd gen wagon with one

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:02 PM
Wow,
it is certainly not the turbo that goes with the mc laren original engine.
This one is looking sooooo big.
I think that the space from a second generation is the same that the first gen.
So it might fit.
I would like to see pictures from a first generation with the small turbo.
I will probabely have to moove the batterie on the trunk.
Hummm ! let me show your pictures gentlemans.
Thanks
Alain
Monday, February 18, 2013 7:52 PM
There is no big difference between 1st gens and 2nd gens. The engine bay is the same, the whole front clip can be swapped to a 2nd gen from a 1st gen and vise versa. The only difference is the design of the rear wing windows and rear end. The doors are the same, suspension is pretty much the same, the body is the same for the most part, minor cosmetic differences. Almost everything that can be done to a 2nd gen can be done the same way to a 1st gen. You might have to swap to 2nd gen parts for some of it but they will be a direct swap. Like I said on v6z24, the only real difference should be the ECU and wiring. Swap in a 3400 or 3500 with a turbo and you will be better off then a 3.1 turbo. You will have to make custom pipes for the 3.1 turbo anyway so just do a 3400 and make a custom front mount and custom exhaust for the same amount of work. Then you can even do a 3500 top end on it and really make power. You can also get ported heads, intake, cams from wot-tech.com or do a 3500 and buy the swap parts like a crank sensor and such. The links I posted will show you some good info on newer engines.

3500 Turbo build
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/my-3500-turbo-build-headlight-restore-t116202,start,90.html

First gen 3500 swap

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/my-turn-first-gen-3500-swap-thread-wiring-snafu-help-t116480.html

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, February 18, 2013 8:32 PM
Hi guys, i finely found someone with a 3.1 turbo on his 87 cavalier. He sent me some pictures.
It fit nicely. A lot of tubing....
I think that the car loose a little bit of simpleness with all thoses bigs hoses and tubes.
It look unreal. I think that the engine compartement is nicer with the hood closed.
But the sound.........the sound .. I love it.
But i still want to add a turbo to my cavalier beacause i will change the final drive on my auto. transmission.
From a stock 3.18 to a more civilized 2.39. So i need torke...a lot of torke.
Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:33 PM
I think a 3.1 is a better choice for a turbo add on due to the fact that they run lower compression. If memory serves me correctly a 2.8 and 3.1 have 8:1 compression and all the newer SFI engines run 9.5:1. In my opinion that's too high to get any kind of a decent benefit from a turbo or even a super charger. At that rate you would almost be better off with a 100 shot of nitrous.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:03 PM
The 3.1 turbo is a 20 year old engine. Compression is not an issue and if it is to you swapSimon 3500 heads on a 3400 and you will be at 9:1. If you want lower throw some forged pistons in. A lot of people on v6z24 are running a lot of boost with no issues on 3x00 engines. My friend was running 15lbs on a stock 3400 in a 2nd gen with no issues. It is the same amount of work to put in a 3.1Turbo as it is a 3x00 turbo so why not get a 20 year new engine with next to no miles on it and turbo it and get 100+ more HP for the same amount of work.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:41 PM
For the original post,

3.1 turbo in a 87 z24.
his profile is : http://www.v6z24.com/registry/1987z24 (I knew there was one somewhere. )

In my opinion though, like other people are saying. build a 3x00, and turbo it.
They're such a better motor then the older 3.1s...
I'm running a 3400 in my 2nd gen, and have had minimal problems with the motor. It's been my daily driver for the past two years, and is still full of power.
Going to a newer motor adds reliability, more options for the build, and just the better feeling of running something newer. It's not that much harder to put in then, then a 3.1.
Like previously stated, you can find a motor with low milage, and for next to nothing,
I bought my 3400 for $500 with 2800km on it, with everything.
You should stay away from a 3.1, in my opinion.
Monday, February 25, 2013 5:48 PM
You probably have reason.
I have a 3.5 on my 2007 g6 and this engine is a marvel.
I would like to have this engine on my cavy, but to find one is not easy.
You often have to be on a list to receive one. As a heart transplant.
But i already have my 3.1 and i want to put it on the cavy' hole.
With the 2.8 plenium it would keep as original.
I don't want a race car i only want more torke to go uphill.
With my transmission modified i will need some..
Al
Monday, February 25, 2013 6:16 PM
I found my 3500 with no problem. From a g6. 30k miles for about $500

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:18 PM
My 3400s were $80 an engine. I bought 3 and the 3500 top ends were $50 a piece.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:53 PM
Alain, I did that exact swap on mine. If you use the newer style block you will need to use push rods from a 95 model year 3100 without roller rockers. I also recommend replacing the rocker arm studs with the updated design. The ones that use lock nuts instead of regular nuts. You can also bore a 3.1 or a 3100 out to a 3.4 or 3400.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:46 PM
The nice ting on this swap (3.5) is that you can also use the 4 speeds automatic that goes with it.
No needs to modified it.
I called this morning at the various scrap yards around and they told me to forget to have a 3.5 from
a pontiac under 1000 $ and 1200 with the trans. Without warranty...of course.
And good luck to have one.
I always think in theses cases that you should by the whole car from a private seller.
You can try the motor and the trans. before doing the job.
But there is not to many cars for sale at this moment of the year here in Canada.
P.S. beechwood......you finely kept your car. This is a good news.
Alain
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:33 PM
Go to a u pull it with a friend, sawzall, tools, and cut the engine and tranny out in a few hours. Take it hope tear it die if you want and regasket it and paint it if you want and your good to go.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:19 AM
Need machinery for that. Trailer and wait until the 3 feets of snow are melted.
And to find the good car for the swap. I prefer and by far, to ear the engine roar before doing that big job.
I will try to find a cheap running car with a 3.4 run it for a while and go for the swap.
Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:16 PM
I love how my iPad screwed up my entire last message.

Friday, March 01, 2013 7:21 PM
That why i did not realy understand it....
Someone offer me a compleete turbo kit from a 1989 grand prix turbo 3.1
The turbo have to be rebuild. He have everyting. Asking 500.00 for it.
I offer him 400.00.....he will ting abouth it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search