coil - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coil
Monday, February 25, 2013 3:03 PM
after reading the post on the other 85 bird thought coil change sounds like a good idea LOL how in the heck do you get the coil out of there on a turbo, and keep skin, or with out taking off the intake ?

Re: coil
Monday, February 25, 2013 4:54 PM
John-

I have my original 1984 coil in and was contemplating the same... I bought one off Amazon and it had play in it and got my $$$ back.

It is held on the back driver side of the intake manifold by 4 bolts. You can remove it from the bottom. It will need to be drilled out of its frame once you have it out.

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:08 PM
got the top 2 bolts out but the 2 under, WOW, I think the car is related with the amount of blood in there and still cant get to them, sad thing is working on cars relaxes me LOL

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:29 PM
I replaced mine when I had the head and intake off because it was so hard to get to.

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:42 PM
I guess I will just pony up and replace it...

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:54 PM
I can't imagine it is easy on the turbo version just due to more stuff in the way.I did mine when I pulled my intake,much easier but,yeah had to drill out the factory rivets but easy due to distributor was out.It was a pain reinstalling to a degree on my 2.0 but still had to be under the car to do it.I just went oem replacement on mine.Have fun and at least have a new part in the process.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:07 PM
Ordered a proper one today

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:13 AM
it is right out on top on a 1.8 no problem to replace.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/josehernandezmiami/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg

Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:56 AM
i was just wondering how to get the coil out the other day. until owning this car ive never seen one placed on the underside of a intake manifold.
Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:24 PM
put car on ramps, i think its a 13mm deep socket, as many extensions as you can find and a good amount of blood loss, enjoy

Thursday, April 04, 2013 6:23 PM
Sounds like a fun time. I'm looking forward to it. Haha

Friday, April 05, 2013 4:26 PM
the top 2 you can get to from the top bit tight but you can do it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search