Class of ’86 – Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Class of ’86 – Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
Friday, February 22, 2013 3:19 PM
Found this on the Z24 site.....Some of you have probably already seen it. Fun reading, seems like a lot of people miss their 1st gens!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/04/29/class-of-86-chevrolet-cavalier-z24/

Re: Class of ’86 – Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
Friday, February 22, 2013 7:40 PM
Very cool read. I wish my Sunbird would have made the list for 84.

I liked the x-11, celebrity eurosport, z24 - all of em. I was 15 in 1986

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:37 PM
I was 23 and driving an 83 Buick Regal, an old mans style car, but I didn't get arrested like my buddy did with his 85 T Top Black 5 spd Z28.. Back then a lot of people were anti US as far as cars were concerned. My girlfriend owned the blue Cav back then. I did want a Monte SS, but I knew the law in my town was out there and I was a nut., so the old mans style car flew under the radar.

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:54 PM
That was good reading.I as of yesterday my mom found the original bill of sale for (SUNNY)! It was from a used car lot here locally and they paid 1800.00 for it and original miles when sold were 95,642.This just clarifies my thoughts on sunnys real miles and it def is 205,000 bc my sister had it from 10/91 to lets say 10/98 when I bought it.I put alot of miles on it from 98-2000 and know my sister probably on did maybe 20k on it from 91-98.I drove it alot commuting and racked up the difference to push it over 200k.Priceless info for me and do have the original keys for it my mom gave me those last yr late fall with the black plastic wrapped gm logo on them.I always had the spare cut set and made dups.I got a touch carried away here but,wanted to share with out pics of bills and just share the newest old info on well sunny!

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:39 PM
A good friend of mine owned a black '87 Z-24 that looked like the one in those pics, and I owned a gunmetal '87 Chevy Spectrum Turbo back in 1987. They were both fabulous cars, but I hate to say it - my Spectrum was a better all-around car. It didn't have the torque my friends Z-24 had, but we used to auto-cross them and my Spectrum used to eat his Z-24 alive. It was probably due to the "Lotus-Tuned " suspension my Spectrum had, or maybe I was just a better driver than him.....
I think my friend bought a lemon though, because his digital dash blew up a half a dozen times, the car ate CV joints like they were candy, and he had numerous other problems with his ride that I don't recall right off the top of my head....but my Spectrum served me very well until 1995 when it was stolen from a shop I was having install a custom stainless exhaust system in it, and it ended up being caught in a flood where it was abandoned...
I do recall a trip from Pittsburgh to St Pete Fla taking about 16 hours to do averaging 90MPH the whole way down in that Spectrum - it was an absolute blast to tear down the interstate with that car ! I loved that car !!!

I know I got a little off-topic with my story, but the pics of those black Zs took me back !

~ Mike ~

Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:41 PM
Makes me miss my RS even more...

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:03 AM
Mike-

I could have raced your spectrum turbo with my 87 Chevy Turbo Sprint! I will have to find and scan a pic - 3 cylinders of FURY!!!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:57 PM
Here You go...

I sold this to get my Sunbird in 1990.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:35 PM
Paul, Nice to see some members old rides. Bet the Sprint got some good miles per gallon.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:42 PM
John-

It was one of theose that was advertised as 51 City and 53 Highway. That was using the old formula (pre 2008). It has now been adjusted to 31 City, 36 Highway with 34 combined in the FE Guide. Still not bad. Of course throw some upsize rims on it (it came with 12s) and the FE goes out the window anyways

I have a cool pic of mine next to a stock one somewhere. First and only car I ever made money on.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:25 PM
That is a cool little car.And making money that must have been solid.I remember those but,more like the minus fastness models mostly.Kind of reminds me of the old toyota tercels or starlett if that is correct.SImilar body anyway.The fun 80s

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:53 PM
I had a nice Opel Gt like this one in the early 1980.
I had so much fut with it.
I sold it 700.00$ to a guy who scrap it 3 days after the sale.
This car was unbelevely confortable for a small car.
But not fast at all.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search