88 sunbird GT fender. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 sunbird GT fender.
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:29 AM
So it's come time to put my sunbird on the road and i need a new right front fender! preferably black but will take any color.

I know a couple people have seen some at junk yards and I'm willing to pay for everything to get it to me.

Pm me if you have one or have a way of getting one please!

Re: 88 sunbird GT fender.
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:48 AM
They should be the same for any cavalier, sunbird for 88-94 if that helps you.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:16 PM
I bought a door to fit my 84 sunbird convertible at North Smithfield Auto Recycling in Rhode Island back in August. The car was a GT convertible not sure of the year.
The door was in excellent condition without a spot of rust. I almost hated taking the door since the rest of the car was in such great shape.
I would not wait to long on this the yard guy said they only keep cars for one year.

North Smithfield Auto Recycling

http://www.nsautorecycling.com/

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:43 PM
This looked too good to junk. Guess it went out in a blaze of glory!!!!!

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 6:09 PM
There's my door!!!

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:54 PM
There is a 87 bird at my fav yard red in color and front clip is removed already(I did that to get some pieces) and fender is straight.It should have the same body line,but you would have to add your flare.I am running on fuems after working on my other nephews new car 02 civic we just got.He will be 16 in may so working hard to get the kinks and clean the ##$% out of it.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:08 AM
87 won't work it's a 1st gen. He needs a 2nd gen 88-94 phase 1 or 2 should work fine they used the same fenders just different bumpers and headlights. In order to use a first gen he would need everything I frond of the doors, ie hood, fenders, bumper, grill, headlights etc.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:12 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:87 won't work it's a 1st gen. He needs a 2nd gen 88-94 phase 1 or 2 should work fine they used the same fenders just different bumpers and headlights. In order to use a first gen he would need everything I frond of the doors, ie hood, fenders, bumper, grill, headlights etc.

Actually Rob the 1988 Sunbirds still used 1st Gen fenders, hoods and front bumpers.
1988 Models

1987 Models

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 7:49 PM
Spike that last pic would be pretty sweet on a shirt! Side topic but,that pic is just got T-SHIRT print written all over it to ME.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:25 AM
Thanks brian I checked that site out and they have one! And agreed on the shirt idea, the only thing I want different is it building some boost. Haha

Thanks again everyone, it's nice to see people willing to help out a fellow enthusiast.
Sunbird will be on the road next week and i can't wait.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:59 AM
Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:50 AM
So i just called smithfield auto and it would cost 160 dollars ship to me...

He said it was to big for ups... I ordered 2 body kits through ups and anyone that has ordered a body kit knows those boxes are huge and i paid 80 bucks for shipping on those..
Anyone live close to this place that knows you can ship it UPS?
Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:48 AM
Nevermind on that link! Called and they don't have it. probably gonna have to go with smithfield.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:00 AM
Spike J wrote:
Rob Dotterer wrote:87 won't work it's a 1st gen. He needs a 2nd gen 88-94 phase 1 or 2 should work fine they used the same fenders just different bumpers and headlights. In order to use a first gen he would need everything I frond of the doors, ie hood, fenders, bumper, grill, headlights etc.

Actually Rob the 1988 Sunbirds still used 1st Gen fenders, hoods and front bumpers.
1988 Models

1987 Models

I just went on Wikipedia and it saw it changed in 1988.5 so maybe he should check to see which car he has.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:13 PM
Fender ordered! Looks like a couple of us are going to have a part of that car. hah.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:34 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:

I just went on Wikipedia and it saw it changed in 1988.5 so maybe he should check to see which car he has.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=470725&t=470296#470725 GM sure did some weird @!#$ back in the day

Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:02 PM
Kind of like the 90 z24s that got phase 1 exteriors with phase 2 interiors and left the seatbelt on the b pillar till 91 where they were on the door. It's hard to find that combination but their were some.

Friday, March 08, 2013 8:10 AM
So i got a call from ns auto about the fender... The previous over riveted it onto the car and he said it was junk =(

If anyone happens to see one someones parting out or at another salvage yard please help me out!
Friday, March 08, 2013 9:21 AM
Zakk Ploof wrote:So i got a call from ns auto about the fender... The previous over riveted it onto the car and he said it was junk =(

If anyone happens to see one someones parting out or at another salvage yard please help me out!

A quick http://www.car-part.com search shows several in Massachusetts, a few in Connecticut and one in Vermont.

Friday, March 08, 2013 11:20 AM
Thank you. After spending my morning calling all over I found one. It's off an 86 sunbird red and black and i never knew they had the paint style?

Friday, March 08, 2013 9:31 PM
Simply Loved the "Popeye J's" Maybe one day I'll get just lucky enough to pick up one of them!!

I'll have to remember this fender design for the Pontiacs. There is the base fender with a lower side marker, and the top line with the higher & slimmer side marker. this one has no side marker at all !! GM really knew how to spend the money on engineering & design back then.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:15 AM
So now back to square one.. Recieved a call this morning informing me the salvage yard that said they had two sunbirds actually don't!
I went through that entire list spike with no luck. Three places said they had them but one was completely riveted onto the car, next two never actually had one.

So I guess I'll "attempt" to fix the one I have. If anyone knows of one being parted out or knows where to find a 87 or later cavi fender feel free to help me out!
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:26 AM
You can use a fender from any of the Jbody cars from the 1st gen years if I'm not mistaken. Firenza's didn't have the side marker lights and there's a few in Massachussets. Finding a Fender flare is going to be tough though. Doesn't look like the one you have is in too bad of shape, take it to a body shop and get a free estimate.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:27 PM
I have the fender flare, what happened was when it was in it's little crash, someone decided to chop the fender up from hitting the wheel instead of bending it away.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search