Strut tower brace. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut tower brace.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:30 PM
I'm searching high and low for a front strut tower brace. Ron help me out! I've been told your the guy that has all the parts. haha.

Re: Strut tower brace.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:06 PM
Well I guess your IN line with two other buyers for the strut bar.John mac and terry biddle both want one so,If I find two for these guys your next in order.I hope to hit one or two yards time pending next wk looking for items.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:32 PM
That works. I don't need it right off and it's more i have money to spend and wouldn't mind having one. What year strut braces also fit these?
I know i might have to drill new holes but that's not an issue.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:58 PM
Any 82-91 will work. You should also look into the subframe connector, firewall to fender and fender to radiator support braces. Also swaybars if you are looking to increase and long.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, March 08, 2013 1:12 PM
I think I know of those fender to radiator support braces of which you speak--are those the skinny bars on top, or is there something under the car?

What are those firewall to fender supports though?
Friday, March 08, 2013 1:24 PM
In the engine bay. Wagons had them on the fender to radiator support and convertibles had them on the fender to firewall. There are 3 types. Hollow straight tube, solid straight, and hollow bent tube. I put solid straight ones on. You can feel the difference. Also the subframe connector is under the car. All convertibles had them. It connects both subframes under the engine. All this stuff is bolt on, no modification required.

Friday, March 08, 2013 1:28 PM
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/cavalier3400z-build-update-small-update-t117207,start,90.html

Halfway down the page you will see a water bottle. The Pictures with the blue bolt are solid bars. The other ones are solid, gives you an idea.

Friday, March 08, 2013 1:34 PM
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/viewtopic,p,953550.html

Subframe brace.

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:59 PM
Interesting, I learn something new about jbodys every day. Guess I will be searching for the wagon style braces for my car.

Friday, March 08, 2013 6:51 PM
Well it doesn't need to be from a wagon, any 1st gen or 2nd gen will work. They work in the front and rear. I am not so sure about the bent ones though.

Friday, March 08, 2013 9:05 PM
Here is a shot of the one over the battery on my wagon. Never knew they were anything special really, just that the one over the battery was a nuisance in being in the way whenever I needed to pull the battery or check the electrolyte levels....

Another GM mystery device. Don't know why the long tops were adorned with so much reinforcement?

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:09 PM
All convertibles had them too by the firewall. So I put all 4 on my z lol. Probably helps triangulate the front end to reduce flex like cardboard boxes with the top open.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 6:44 AM
Yes, my verts have the firewall supports and like Orlen never really thought too much about them. I know about the sub-frame brace and the F41 suspension on the early convertibles and Z cars.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:56 PM
Zakk-

No drilling should be necessary if you have the right brace. Mine did not come with one. I had to move my washer bottle to make it fit but it all worked out.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:20 PM
Alright i'd rather not have to modify it either. I'd like to have one for the extra support plus they just look amesome IMO.
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:35 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Also the subframe connector is under the car. All convertibles had them. It connects both subframes under the engine.

To clarify- all FE3 equipped cars have the subframe brace. There are FE1 and FE2 verts that do not have it.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:43 PM
My 89 z24 had FE3 on the sticker in the trunk and did not have a subframe connector or strutbar. Same with my 91 sunbird vert, that had FE2 and only had a very tiny front swaybar so I got all Z stuff for it including the strutbar and subframe connector. It did have the fender to firewall braces from factory.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:12 PM
Have fun putting that brace on when you get it. I still don't have mine on, but it's on my spring to-do list.

From what was said here when I was asking why mine don't fit, you have to jack up the car and have a few people to muscle it on; but once it goes on and stays on for a week or two, removal and reinstallation is not a problem.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:48 PM
Might be fun for me to get mine to fit, because my blue vert was twisted once by a pizza delivery guy! Had to replace the front 3/4 nose and slightly pull the frame.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search