86 cimarron intermediate exhaust hanger - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 cimarron intermediate exhaust hanger
Monday, March 04, 2013 2:53 PM
hello there. ive just come into possesion of an 86 cimarron 'nd the only thing that needs doing is the donut gasket and the middle part of the exhaust after the cat converter and before where it goes over the wheel is hanging loose. i can see that the hanger is broken but its a strange hanger that clamps around the pipe on the drivers side in front of the gas tank and goes clear across to the other side in front of the gas tank, being held on by a strap. i found a replacement part from ap exhaust but i dont see how that bracket holds the exhaust up at all. it looks like it would prevent exessive side to side movement but it doesnt seem to attach anywhere near the pipe to hold it up. can anyone tell me what im missing? can that bracket be completely eliminated by a quick tip at an exhaust shop?

Re: 86 cimarron intermediate exhaust hanger
Monday, March 04, 2013 10:55 PM
John welcome to the site 1st. Next maybe I can get your post relocated to the 1st gen forum where you will better get answers for your yr model.Please check out this section and any further maintenance and or ?s post them there specifically being most are not always famaliar with our older rides.Any way I have some pics of mine with a similar design to show how it is mounted overall.I am super tired long day of trkg and will try to get this moved for you so our 1stgen group can help you out.I know I have the answer with pics and may snap a few NEW ones tues and post up(my car stays inside always).Unless someone post pics before I will snap a pic or two to show you how a oem hanger location and or brackets look.Ok and welcome again.Ron

Monday, March 04, 2013 11:12 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/647974/1985-chevrolet-cavalier/page-6/#6479740021 Here is one pic showing rear hanger I will get a NEW pic of the hanger before the muffler at the tank.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:15 AM
thank you! very helpful indeed.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:03 AM
Have a shop weld a new bracket on. I had a dual exhaust put on my car and everything looks factory. They cut off all my old hangers and put new ones on. You can't even tell, now I can use universal rubber hanger bushings.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:58 PM
Here is my cavs bracket with several angles and note this original bracket is bolted in with the rubber mount and yeah some welding there to the exhaust itself.This should clarify things so you have a good reference.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:12 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for the pics, they were very helpful! In the end I went to a muffler shop and got them to weld up a bracket and also put a new donut gasket in the front. Apparently my muffler also has some ice and moisture in it from sitting that they said would blow itself out with regular highway use.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:16 PM
Late Post but I just wanted to comment

This hanger is just a piece O $#!%!! Replaced with a new one that you can see is just as worthless. I eventually out of desperation drilled a hole clean up into the center of the rear floorboard and , using some pieces of thick rubber from a tire sidewall for insulation (inside the the car and underneath just below the sheet metal) just rigged a hanger directly above the pipe. Never have I ever seen such a sorry excuse for an exhaust hanger in my life. The Pontiac has a much better design and I've had no trouble with it.

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:31 PM
The stock hanger on our 1st gens was a crap design!!!! I had removed my, spot welded a bolt to the underside of the car, set up a new hanger using the but I welded and then wound up welding the new hanger to the underside of the car, but I didn't use a rubber mount, so now there's a lil bit of vibration on my floor cuz my exhaust is pretty much welded to my floor lol

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search