will a 85 cavalier hood fit a 83 j2000? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
will a 85 cavalier hood fit a 83 j2000?
Monday, November 19, 2012 7:03 AM
I have a 83 j 2000 that needs a driver side fender and hood, thanks to a deer. And I can't find any j2000's close to me, but there is an 85 cavalier 75 miles from me that has the parts. So does anyone know if they will fit? Thanks

Re: will a 85 cavalier hood fit a 83 j2000?
Monday, November 19, 2012 3:54 PM
Yes it will fit!

2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER VL BASE SEDAN.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:26 PM
Please share your cars pics over in the 1st gen forum.I am ron and find alot of parts for well 1st gens.I will see if there is anything local or not body part wise.The hood will fit,but your fender is specific as far as design LOOK,.Tired and long days 2 that is so keeping short.So you have a sunbird and you will need a fender that body line wise would help for sure.Go to our forum and tell us about you and pics of car as is,or before.My post for cool finds or pull a parts yard however I worded it is there so you can see the parts I find and ship!

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:40 PM
The fender might fit but the hood will not lineup as Cavalier's and Sunbird/J2000's had different hoods.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:34 PM
I have a couple of photos to compare Chevy against Pontiac Michael. The crease positions on the Pontiac pinch together to blend in with the header panel. The Chevy Crease points come straight down and disappear upon meeting the header panel. Also if you will take a look under the hood of the Chevy you'll notice they have different prop rods and therefore different prop points that contact the underside of the hood. I understand your frustration at sourcing parts for your Pontiac, have had the same PIA myself!! Heater Core for models w/AC are non existent!! Also base model side markers on the Pontiac fenders are lower than higher end models with the strip going along the side from bumper to bumper. GM spared no expense over engineering the J-Body models!!

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:52 PM
Here is a couple of photos showing differences of side marker lights. The location might be close between the 2, but the base marker is clearly below the bottom edge of the bumper rub strip - which would continue across the side of the car on a high end model.. The base model has a thicker shorter marker too, I'm guessing the cut out on the fender is probably the same. Again, GM spared no expense over-engineering these machines!!

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:57 PM
After thinking about the hood and fender and orlen pointing out some obvious things I just was too wooped to recall yesterday.I def would say the hood should be from a bird,and fender too really to make the proper metal line ups with the body really.It might fit and bolt up the same but GM went kinda silly on some design things.I am going to do some searching online at my junky yards and see if anything new have arrived.Those pieces should not be too hard to get but,waiting and looking around will be the time factor.And IF I find these yes I can ship these no problem.I have shipped doors so these are cupcake to do.That is all and ORLEN thanks for showing the pics I can clearly see the body lines do make a difference,and last nite I was just running on fuems from my last two days trucking.I will do what I can to locate these items,I generally find what I need in most cases.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:02 PM
Michael can you tell me if your hood looks like orlen's or do you need to snap a pic to show.I am going to the pull a part this wk and if they have a OLD sunbird like close age wise to yours I can verify the hood look.Does it have the body lines in it,or is is just smooth.There is a alternate place I can go,but want to make that a last resort.Going to try and hit 2 yards tues weather pending(might rain,or sprinkles) idk really.My local yard is not listed online so it really is a gamble,but the other list cars on there yard.Long day literally traffic was umm stupid heavy today.

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:54 PM
I have a 83 J2000 as well. Selling parts if you need some. Have the Hood and front grill / bumper assembly for sale! HMU if you are interested.
Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:08 PM
Thanks for the help, sorry been away for awhile. I did find the hood and fender and picked them up last week. But now I need 2 hood hinges and the support bracket that goes behind the front nose. I really want to fix this car before the wreck it was flawless w only 10432 org. miles on it and I bought it for 300. Any help would be great. Hey gio how much for the parts if u have them. Thanks.
Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:26 PM
The hood hinges are pretty much the same on cavs,to birds.I could get these off a 87 bird.Now you said support bracket for the nose.Is this a bolt on item,or are you talking about the radiator support that is welded in place.BUT I think you want the metal that goes directly behind the nose piece that is metal and is bolted on as a buffer and yeah support and goes all the way across that the nose piece fastens to in certain places?I am tired but,thinking what I mentioned is the piece you need.I would PM the guy above with a exact car and see if he can offer these pieces anyway.

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:18 PM
Quick ?s on the hood hinges.Yours should have a hinge that mounts to the side angle of the hood.Please indicate this as I know it should be.Next what is wrong with your hinges(bent maybe from bump up).And also you said front bump support and will go on what I said bfore solid metal that bolts to the bumper brackets behind the nose right.Just clarify a few things so when I go junkyarding thurs I can get what ever you need and this can take some time removing those items especially the hood hinges(a real pain).I have done the both removals front clip and hinges so I can plan time wise for removal.Ok

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:04 AM
Thanks for the help. Yes the hinges mount to the angle of the hood. The hinges r bent I put on the new hood and it closed about 2 inches to short. I tried to heat the up and bend them back but it didn't work. And yes I need the solid metal bracket that the nose mounts to. Again thanks for the help.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:57 PM
Ok got it.That clears up the ideas and figured I was correct but,wanted to make sure and doing hood hinges requires drilled out the factory rivets and that can be timely.The front cowl has to come off and I may try to skate removing the fenders which gives me more space,But at angle is doable and did this before.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:06 PM
Ok here are your hood hinges off a 87 bird(any 82-87) use the same but,what ever.Next is the front bumper crush plastic W/ both amber lights pigtails,cut wires to keep sockets,and several pics of the bumper support and the crush zone plastic is riveted on.Let me know how this looks and we can work out the details of price,shipg etc.It took me like 30 min drop the nose piece WOW it was really easy.I drilled out the rivets for the hood brackets and DO have the bolts for those as spares and you can have these.I wanted to take the front nose and fenders but $ is not flowing out of the wallet plus I drove my civic so less room.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:30 AM
The hinges are great. But I'm very sorry I need the metal bracket that is around the headlights? Again I am really sorry let me know if you can return it, if not I will pay for it.
Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:12 PM
Ok MIKE the correct part after we talked.It is dirty and will clean it up bc it smells literally.I have all the screws for it to send your way being I have no need for them.We can discuss price pm or phone.This piece is not light weight either like I thought it might have been.Good american metal no reproduced trash.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search