Starter/charging diagram - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter/charging diagram
Friday, March 15, 2013 6:28 PM
Figured I'd start a new topic about this. Does anyone have any pictures or an accual wiring diagram for the starting/charging system for the 2.0 motor that came in the 86 hatch?
Mine is apparently so Jerry rigged right now, and after 2 or 3 weeks I've gotta cut the wires back and resplice them cuz the wire have been melting through (which was my first sign there was a problem). Coming off the 3 post on my starter there's a total of 6 or 7 wires, but I think that's wayyyy to many, I thought there should only be like 4 max.
And is it normal for my alternator charging wire to route through my starter and then to the battery? Shouldn't it go straight from alt to battery?

Sorry if my post is all over the place, been having problems getting my thoughts down on paper lol

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~

Re: Starter/charging diagram
Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:56 PM
Yes the starter has several wires with fusible links all going to the starter.Crazy yeah but,I have some pics showing mine and will pop one or two to show how many.I do have some diagrams showing which,what,and etc.It will have to wait till next wk or this coming I mean when I have more time to get all my info straight.Btw IF any of those fuseable links are junky you have to replace them with the exact same rated fuse!I have done that too.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:05 PM
Awesome. Thanks so much, and a few of the fusable links kept melting through so I wound up just replacing them with a lil thicker gauge wire for the time being to just hold me over. Couldn't risk burning through a fusable link and breaking down with my 2 year old with me haha.

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~
Monday, March 18, 2013 11:17 PM
Here is one pic of my redesigned starter wiring setup.I used a copper buss bar and added it to move the hook ups further away from the exhaust.This to me is a must and the original protecter was metal but,duh it gets hot too.I did replace the cable ends or terminals and put new conduit(aka loom) and zip tied things up tight.I will have to scan the diagrams for the wiring going to the starter.I know my big handy shop manual has a diagram and just working and trying to get specific stuff loaded and on here a touch more time than I have at night after work.I would suggest doing this to prevent melting of the wiring as maybe you have noticed on yours possibly.I know the harness also runs behind the exhaust and fixed that too or updated the loom and zip tied closer to block and so forth when I repainted my entire block when I did my intake manifold and pulled hte exhaust off while I did the front side for primer and paint.I will get the diagrams later this wk scanned in and on here.Just remember fusible links use same fuse size in place of original and done for tnight.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search