new look for the vert wheels - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new look for the vert wheels
Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:46 PM
the wheels on my wifes convertable were looking kind of shabby so i told her i'll clean and prep them if she does the paint. i use fast orange hand cleaner, a good stiff brush and some scotcth brite to clean my car parts. i've found it works very well on most evrerything and i dont have to use any harsh solvents.here are some before and after pics.

it has been a looong winter and we can;t wait to get her back on the road.we are going to put new struts and shocks on it and then she will be ready to roll. then i can start working on my skyhawk again

Re: new look for the vert wheels
Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:59 PM
Wow, what a difference!
You learn something new everyday, and for me, that's to use fast orange on car parts haha
Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:42 PM
Wow that wheel does look pretty freaking nice!!

Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:45 AM
and thanks for the tip about using Fast Orange. Did you spray or use a brush for the paint?

Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:02 AM
Look fantastic! I also never thought to use Fast Orange. Any one know what kind of clear that can be strayed on?

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:30 AM
Awesome!

Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:00 PM
Wow, Those wheels are great looking! That red would look great on my red '84 Convertible, I put some Z24 wheels from a 92 on mine that Tom Stroup and I traded, I had bought a 91 Sunbird that the body was shot for purposes of grabbing the seats and the Pontiac wheels for my Cavalier. Tom talked me into trading the Pontiac wheels for the Z wheels. I had to find the inserts and when we got everything cleaned up and painted, they turned out very nicely.

I like to see a picture of your car with those outta sight clean wheels on it.

Cheer up guys, Winter is darned near over, and it's almost time to pull the cars outta the garage, clean em up and go cruising!!!!
Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:14 PM
Great looking wheels!! Giving me ideas!!

OMG I forgot I got 2 sets of Pontiac wheels waiting to be tinkered with in the shed too.... Oh I am sooooo overwhelmed this summer!!

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:20 AM
Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:47 AM
thi is what they look like on the car. we just preped them well and brushed on some rustoleum. put some wax on them and hope they dont fade out too quickly. a little cleanig and some paint can do wonders. i call it putting on a little lipstick!

Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:22 PM
Looks Great! Going to try mine on the brown Cav with light grey inserts.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:28 PM
Perfect Result!! Very pleasing to the eye!!

Just a heads up, I am painting with XO Rust (similar to Rustoleum) and it has a nasty tendency to fade. On the other hand.....it is cheap enough you can repaint anytime you take a notion to , so those pretty wheels will look fresh year after year!!

I sure am glad you gave us an update!! i had forgotten this post and I have some wheels of my own to tend too.

I'm going to have to borrow your techniques!!

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:54 PM
I would recommend not using a protective clear on the aluminum as John inquired about. My reasoning is because when the clear coat is on, the aluminum cannot be repolished to make the wheel have an even shine. That is because the if the clear chips off in spots, those spots will tarnish and the rest of the wheel will not making a splotchy appearance. I plan on painting the inside of my Pontiac wheels, but leaving the polished areas unprotected so they can be hand polished and tuned up to an even shine in the distant future.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:55 PM
sorry, it was 84conv that inquired about the clear cote

Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:35 PM
If I ever get the hard work done on sunny I am getting my wheels refinished to the stock finish appearance.I am not sure on cost over just buying a new refinished aluminum star wheel but prefer to KEEP my original wheels just due to that is what came with the car.There is a shop here locally that does this type of work and right now want to fix the items on my car I have scheduled and wait for the pretty stuff later.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search