5 or 4 speed swap questions - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 5 or 4 speed swap questions
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:35 PM
3.8 isn't as efficient as a 3400/3500 or 3900 engine. 3.8l is out dated. It is like conpairing an Old lt1 engin to an LS engine.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:20 AM
Huh????

Within any given year that both 3400 and 3800 were in use both engines met Federal and California emissions standards and both engines complied with CAFE standards. Generally speaking the 3800 engines are able to provide greater torque and come with lower final drive ratios often providing greater fuel economy than the smaller 60 deg engines. While GM has chosen to use the 60 deg V6 as the platform for advanced technology such as direct injection, this does not imply that older versions of the engine were better or more efficient. Case in point, the 3400 in my wife's '02 Malibu is lucky to get 22-24 mpg while the 3.1 in the Cavalier easily gets 28 on the same trips. If efficiency is measured by the amount of work done for a given amount of fuel consumed, the older engine has the advantage.
Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:40 AM
FWIW - I CRUSHED a 3400 Impala at the drag strip with my 3.8. Both engines were available in 2004 and it was not even fair to compare the two.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:56 PM
I'd take a 3.8/3800 engine any day over the 60 degree v6's, The 2.8l we had in the Cutlass was nothing but trouble, & the 3.1l in my cousins Lumina gave him just as much grief, now the 3800 in my other cousin's Intrigue has been trouble free since he's owned it. I will say that 2.8l did have a nice torque/power curve and we regularly got 22-25mpg's with it.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:16 AM
well progress has been limited but the shifter assembly and clutch pedal are in. the sunbird is ready for the motor, but i need to barrow a hoist to remove it from the grand am since it wont move with the baljoint broken, also 1 strut on the Sunbird was broken and fell apart so now that needs to be replaced...

reasons to put the 2.5 in the sunbird
1 bad trans in sunbird
2 grand am runs great but body is rusted out
3 i have both cars and need one that's functional
4 i wanted a 5 speed wagon

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:19 AM
If you look on Craigs List you might be able to get an engine lift for a steal. I got mine on CL for $35 two years ago and it worked great.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:28 PM
I was just curious Mark if the clutch pedal was a weld or bolt on affair?

John, that's a pretty good idea. I'll be needing one of those if I get that Cavalier with the Chevette front end to strip down. I'll be keeping an eye on the local CL. Don't know if I'll get as lucky as you did and find one quite that affordable!! :-)

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:39 PM
Clutch pedal is bolted in. V6z24.com has all the templates to drill the firewall for the clutch pedal. There is a whole step by step tutorial. You will need the big rubber grommet for the manual shifter cables as the auto is different at the firewall. The swap to me a day to do not including reinstalling my suspension.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:25 AM
yup it just bolted in after some drilling i used the pattern on v6z24 shifter also fit using stock bolt holes, so if you need a clutch pedal assembly or shifter and ya cant find a jbody the grand am one fits

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:02 PM
everything's swapped and nearly ready to start it up just need a axle and wheel bearings and one mount welded, i did check and it seems it should start

if anyone needs a running 18. ohc engine ( 85k i think) with new alternator and distributor they can have it for 150$ picked up i near Scranton pa, everything goes with it

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:17 PM
I'm from reading pa nd have been tring to gt rid of my 2.0ohc with 60,000 lol

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:30 PM
i figured it wouldn't be easy to sell,
i'll try to get some pictures of the swap to post soon everything fit fine and bolts right up except the front passenger side mount that is welded to the body isnt there, if it was a 2.0 ohv or a 2.2ohv the mount would have been there

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:47 PM
I have rebuilt both 3.8 and 3.1 engines and I have to say hands down I'd go with the 3.1 any day. Interchange is a nightmare on the 3.8 plus half the engine is SAE bolts and the other is metric. The 60 degree engines are nearly identical to eachother with only minor changes. It keeps rebuilds cheaper plus I just learned recently that the 60 degree engines connecting rods will swap with a small journal 327 engine.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:39 PM
Spike J wrote:I'd take a 3.8/3800 engine any day over the 60 degree v6's, The 2.8l we had in the Cutlass was nothing but trouble, & the 3.1l in my cousins Lumina gave him just as much grief, now the 3800 in my other cousin's Intrigue has been trouble free since he's owned it. I will say that 2.8l did have a nice torque/power curve and we regularly got 22-25mpg's with it.

3400 engines can easily get over 30mpg. New cars do not because of emissions and exhaust/ intake restrictions. My 89 got 32mpg with 91 octane. It has the factory cowl induction and straight pipes. Also has no egr or charcoal canister. Everything else was factory at the time besides the tune. 5 speed also.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:50 PM
sill need an engine mount and wiring diagrams for the bulkhead connectors on both cars so i can figure out the electrical

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search