turbo ? - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: turbo ?
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:52 PM
Just a easy check.But have you removed your egr valve and cleaned it?If it has a vac line as it should you can just pull it off and see if the pop goes away.I personally would take it off and clean it with carb cleaner and use a toothbrush to clean out the carbon.They try running it.Not that this is the quick fix but,with all the other items you did this has not come into play.And this can wreak havic on how the car runs,idles and well throttles up and down nicely.Ok

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:12 AM
i could be wrong but i dont think the turbos have a egr

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:34 AM
John, I took a few minutes this morning out of curiosity, and it seems indeed your J-code engine doesn't come with an EGR. However while looking around I found a couple of possible tings to investigate.

Have you replaced your Fuel Pressure Regulator? You might possibly be getting adequate pressure from the pump, but not to the injectors at the rail. Wouldn't hurt to check the vacuum line to make sure you don't have a leak to it too.

Specific to your J-code engine is a special sensor called Manifold Air Temp sensor. It is hidden underneath the intake manifold. Might possibly be disconnected or just worn out.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:15 AM
Sorry John-

Been busy and off of the board lately. Yep, no EGR on these cars. EGR started on the 2.0 turbo. You need your check engine light so we can start getting some clues straight from your car. I have several 1.8 turbo specific parts that you could swap and see if the condition changes, but I would rather have the car tell us what is ailing it. Is the bulb out in the CEL? Pulling the IP is not really that bad if that is all it is. Then we can use the service manual to chase this issue.

Is your car a manual or an auto? I have the proper 6430 ECM for a manual (prom and all), as well as a vestigial EST sensor (not used on the 7749 ECM I am running / stock on 2.0 turbo manual). My 1.8 turbo has always been spark issues before fuel issues and actually required a ECM/PROM replacement for a no-start issue at one point. If we get to fuel, the offer on the injectors is still open.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:13 PM
i drove it to work today still the same , whats odd is was running great after tune up , put up on ramps to change heater core no problem , took it off ramps and problem started like flipping a switch, as long as i stay just below boost level on gauge pulls great , as it had sat for so long could bad grounds be the problem ? it is a AT car i wish it was stick

as for the check engine light i will check bulbs this weekend ( sunday monday tuesday ) have had the dash out 3 times so far got dash lights, and blinkers working so far and all gauges

Monday, April 01, 2013 2:19 PM
no power to the check engine light or to the scaner port, ECM bad ? put new timing belt on just in case and re timed , new alternator and belt but still the same, also i ran the batt dead when changing the heater core( power seat stuck on) would that cause problems ?

Monday, April 01, 2013 5:22 PM
John-

Please pull your glove box liner and get the numbers off of your ECM to see if we have a match. I am thinking we try my ECM with your PROM and see if that wakes up your CEL.

Monday, April 01, 2013 6:25 PM
i have the emc out but the tag is shot so i cant get the # off it what i can read 8_8212_

Monday, April 01, 2013 6:36 PM
any chance you can snap a pic and post or email to me?

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:36 AM
on autozone.com it looks like the listed for a 86 turbo sunbird but not the same as 84-85

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:47 PM
found a ECM at a local yard put in and WE HAVE BOOST, we also have check engine light working.
thanks to all for the help, just so glad to have it running right.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:26 PM
NICE!!

Glad to hear it.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:13 PM

Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:28 PM
drove to work today, gods what a differance, but got a pin hole in upper rad hose and changed after i got home, but im good with that

Friday, April 05, 2013 4:42 AM
These cars are pretty fun to drive when everything is working Glad to head it was the upper hose and not either of the lower ones - esp the back one.

Friday, April 05, 2013 6:23 PM
Mentioned that pinhole, and that reminded me of an earlier post regarding Turbos & Coolant leaks.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=13893&t=13893

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search