Paint Code for 2 tone silver Sunbirds - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Paint Code for 2 tone silver Sunbirds
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 6:51 PM
Hi guys!

I would like to 2 tone my 87 Sunbird to be the common factory 2 tone silver color which was often paired up with black. I want to make my car silver and dark sapphire blue, which the car is already the blue color, with a blue top. I have the paint code for that. I am looking to find out what the paint code is for the bright silver on some members two tone car. I have the 2 digit paint code chart in my factory shop manual, so if someone would be so kind as to tell me the bright silver paint code from their radiator support tag or on their RPO code sheet, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am new to the forum, but not to car collecting. I have 14 cars, 12 of which are special interest that span from 1926 - 1987. I recently discovered the how dirt cheap J-body convertibles when I scored 3 in 3 months time for a total of $1,350.

My first was an 89 Z24 in August for $600 with 200K. While searching for parts for it, I scored

another 89 Z24 rag top with 85K for $475. It is too nice to cut up for parts and is another project waiting to happen. Then a third drop top crossed my radar. I snagged

an 87 Sunbird SE convertible with 165K for scrap price of $250.

The Bird was rescued from a long 10 year slumber in a garage, but though super solid, has door bottom rot and a huge dent in the drivers quarter behind the door. It is so deep it broke the rear quarter window. I got the replacement glass with the car and now have the dent pushed out far enough I can smooth body putty. I bought these cars to take a break from my 1926 Willys Overland Touring car high boy hot rod which is my long term project. I am using the j-body cars to hone my car crafting skills on something that I am not as meticulous about and can get quick gratification from, as well as have a more practical fun driver when I am done. A hot rod with no side glass is not as appealing to the other half on cold, rainy days as a j body drop top she can get full coverage from the elements in. So I refer to these cars as "skill builders" since they need general mechanical maintenance repairs, moderate body work, full paint and convertible top replacement and light interior upholstery reworking.

I got the first 89 Z24 roadworthy in 3 months, only being able to work on it during the weekends. Oh and one big snag was that the title I got with the car didn't match the vin number, so it took another 3 weeks to track down the owner that made that mistake and correct it. I like driving that car to work and then home with the top down.

I am now trying to do a full on resto on the 87 Sunbird so I have a super nice daily driver in the summer and my girl friend can drive the so so 89 Z24 drop top. Gotta love it going topless!

PS. I would love to score a set of GT fender flares, so if anyone has any leads on a set, I sure would appreciate the tip.

Re: Paint Code for 2 tone silver Sunbirds
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 7:46 PM
That is some story of events.And yeah jbody stuff is lower cost and pretty easy to bring up to par.However finding some pieces is a pain because so much has not been reproduced.I scour my yards looking for anything that is needed and or wanted for spare pieces.I myself have owned my 85 for 15yrs and bought it from my sister who was the 2nd owner.I have yet to come across the fender flares and will keep a eye out if some ever do show.Idk about the paint colors but,know there is a chart showing all the colors offered on each year.Kind of tired after bringing a new used car back to life for my nephew a 02 civic and the interior is almost done.If you have any problems with your rides this is the place to ask the ?s here on the 1st gen forum.Nice finds and when you can upload a pic of any of your Js do so.Good luck and welcome to the site.I have located alot of parts for several here being in nc more cars show up.This year not so much especially on the Z models and verts mostly two door or sedan stuff minus all the frills.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:28 AM
This might be of some help GM Color Codes

Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:02 AM
Bill-

Please some pics of the collection when you get a chance. Great story!

Friday, March 08, 2013 9:20 PM
Welcome aboard Bill!! Nice to have you here :-)

You might be surprised to find how long those cheaper J-Bodies will last! I myself bought my old wagon for $350 back in 2002 and I'm still drivin' & smilin' . The Pontiac I got for $450 in 2011. Neither burn oil and run well. Rust is my major scourge , but givin that I'm no body shop man I'm holding my own so far. I'd much rather be painting with a brush, roller or spray can than fighting an OBD II code or replacing cam phaser!! 4 Cams tends to make me rather Dizzy!! Yep, if it isn't in the car, it surely cannot break!!

Whatever you do with 'em , enjoy yourself and post up some photos. Nothing like B4 & after!!

Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I tried posting a pict the other night but wasn't too successful. I will continue to chip away at posting a few picts when I have time.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:52 PM
I believe the answer I was seeking is paint code #12. I looked at a two tone black and silver 90 Sunbird that was split halfway up the door skin. I looked at the tag on the radiator support which not only indicates the paint code for the upper and lower half of the car, but also indicates body style, interior color and a few other helpful bits of information when the RPO code sticker is nonexistant.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search