coolant temp gauge bad? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coolant temp gauge bad?
Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:40 PM
i have replaced both the coolant temp sensor and the coolant temp sender and unplugged the engine metal temp switch and my temp gauge is still not working.

it stays on the hot peg with the engine off and raises beyond the peg a bet to the hot side with the engine on. if i unplug the sensor it will drop back down to the peg. occasionally it will make a few erratic swings toward the cool side but always goes back to pegged at hot.

im thinking its maybe the gauge.

i cant find any info in the shop manual on if its just a standard gauge or if its one particular to the car or a range of gm cars.

can anyone tell me if ican just replace it with the same size temp gauge, or if not, where i could find a replacement? the salvage yards here dont have any 80s cavaliers or cimarrons.

Re: coolant temp gauge bad?
Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:38 PM
I might have one that is a little rusty on the display but works. If you want me to look in my parts storage area let me know. I can send you the just the temp gauge if this is the correct one.

John

Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:33 PM
pm'd!

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:30 AM
Well I am laying odds a bad gauge.If you ground the coolant temp sender plug use some wire and place it to metal on the block.With the key ON the gauge should peg out hot.If it does it probably is bad,if it were grounded and pegs cold means a bad sender.Super tired but,I would swap gauges just on what you have done.

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:39 PM
im thinking so. hopefully 84conv can find that spare. blizzard permitting ill get a multimeter on the temp sender just to be sure but i think something is wonky with the stepper motor on the gauge

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:24 PM
John, Sent you a PM with a picture of the gauge.

Thanks to Orlen for sending it to me as a spare.

John post some pictures of your car when you get a chance.

84Conv

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:24 PM
i will definitely post up some pics as well as a sig. its supposed to start thawing out here in fargo next week so hopefully once things start melting i can get her cleaned up and presentable.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:34 AM
Same here, got 10 inches last night. Good thing is that this time of year it doesn't last very long. Might be able to get to Post Office this afternoon.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search