1986 cavalier valve cover question - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1986 cavalier valve cover question
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:45 PM
On the valve cover of my 2.0 there's 2 holes, the one on the left is a PCV valve, while the one on the right (that runs to air cleaner housing) is just an empty plastic thing (live pcv valve without the valve lol) should the "blank" one be replaced with a regular pcv valve? It seems to be throwing an aweful lot of oil up into my air filter housing.

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~

Re: 1986 cavalier valve cover question
Friday, March 22, 2013 7:18 PM
Hi Andrew,

The two holes on the valve cover should be for a PCV valve, and an oil fill cap. If yours is missing, you can get a Stant or another aftermarket cap to screw on there and keep your oil in the engine. Been there, done that

Friday, March 22, 2013 7:34 PM
So technically there's 3 holes then. The one to the far left is a pcv with a hose that leads to the tbi. Then to the right a little bit there's another hole that is the exact same size as the pcv one that sits to the left, except this one only has an empty (hollow) valve in it, with a rubber hose running to the underside of the metal air filter housing). And then to the far right is my oil fill cap.

What I need to know is if the hollow one that leads to my air filter housing is supposed to be a pcv valve or just a hollow connector?

~~2.0 TBI~~
Friday, March 22, 2013 7:44 PM
Oh, yes. I'm sorry. The smaller hole is for a plastic 'breather' that should be hollow. It connects to the underside of the air cleaner housing.

Sorry, its been a long week!

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:02 PM
Okie dokie. That's what I needed to figure out. It just seems to be throwing a bit more oil up into the air filter housing then it should be. But thank u for your quick reply!

~~2.0 TBI~~
Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:57 AM
hi andrew, you have what is called engine blow by. it is common on an older worn engine .my 86 does the same thing. make sure you have a good pcv valve. change yor oil regularly and air filter.do not put another pcv valve in that breather tube. unless your going thru a ton of oil dont worry about it. just keep an eye on it. google "engine blow by" or "oil in air filter" and you will find more details of your situation.
Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:51 AM
Figured it was time to replace the pcv valve. Haven't done is since I got the car back on the road 4 years ago.
As for it being blowback, my air filter hosing is a closed area, so it'd be impossible for oil to blow back from the block up into the air filter housing. But thank u everyone for your input and advice

~~2.0 TBI~~
Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:16 AM
Like John Galt says, it is blow by and was very common on old high millage 4 cyls from the 70's and 80's.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search