next project! need a manifold for 4cyl cimarron - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
next project! need a manifold for 4cyl cimarron
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:45 AM
im putting everything else on hold and focusing on my exhaust manifold for now. it has a crack where the pipes meet near the collector and my exhaust shop doesnt have a good way to weld it. im getting some gasses into the cabin and thats not good so, im searching for a new one asap. ive called a few yards that had them listed but they were all either sold of they had gotten rid of the cars. does anyone here have a 4cyl manifold in good nick?

Re: next project! need a manifold for 4cyl cimarron
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:09 PM
I remember seeing the part at napaonline.com
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NDP6002408_0377715907

part NOE6002408
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:24 PM
Look around, I got one off ebay a few years ago for cheap. And there are a few on there now that just seem to be a little pricey.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:31 PM
Yeah John, I'd recommend going with a new Man instead of a used one. You'd be lucky if the old Oxygen sensor doesn't get broken during removal, and luckier still if the old oxygen sensor is in any good of a condition. They can be a PAI to remove.

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:15 PM
looking at around $100 for a new one from ebay. still thinking i might find a good used one for cheaper from a salvage yard site a friend recommended but i should stay away from a used one?

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:41 PM
also i should ask, will any of the other previous or later year manifolds fit? there are a grip of 87-89 manifolds on ebay

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:23 PM
boy i wish i could edit posts. the 87-89 wont fit, however the 83-84 uses the same gasket so it might. i cant seem to find a picture anywhere of the earlier manifold to see if its the same or similar.

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:23 PM
This is what one on a 1983 Cavalier looks like:

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:28 PM
Never noticed that before, but look how they mounted the Oxygen Sensor in that thing.

Sitting upright, tall 'n proud.......almost like a Christmas Tree Ornament.

You'll NEVER find anything like that on the new cars today!!

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:51 PM
thanks for the pic! yeah that won't work either. too bad. I did find a couple of the aftermarket manifolds like they have on ebay listed on the salvage yard site for quite a bit less so I've got my fingers crossed that somebody will call me back monday with one still in stock. otherwise i'll have to suck it up and spend the hundo. I only work 20-30 hours a week and help my family with renovations on the house the rest of the time so I don't have a lot of spare cash, gotta be thrifty as balls lol.

Friday, March 29, 2013 7:41 PM
Easily Understood John!

I have one of those dilemmas myself this year too. A small rock chip that's been happily behaving itself on the windshield of my '86 Ranger Pickup decided to crack after 8 years. So I gotta come up with $260 to get another windshield by next inspection time. Yeah, some folks have their J's for project cars and others as daily drivers. This makes a huge difference when it come to choices for repairs and replacements. If you can come across a good used Man with an O S that can be removed or maybe still have some life left in it - go for it! The worst that can happen is you having to remove the Man again, which after everything being recently put on - shouldn't be all that bad.

I'd venture getting a used one off will put up a good fight if it has been on a couple of decades though!!

Friday, March 29, 2013 8:10 PM
If you are still considering new check rockauto.com they are CHEAP when it comes to aftermarket parts.

Friday, March 29, 2013 10:42 PM
thanks for the tip on rockauto i will check that out. i hope if i do get a used one the sensor is already out as i have a new one but if it isnt, a combination of acetylene torch, pb blaster, and breaker bar or impact gun should be pretty persuasive. ive taken off some rust-welded ones before and havent taken threads out yet so fingers crossed.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:22 AM
This one is on my 84, just like the 83 with the tube coming out the top.

This one is on Ron's 85 with no air tube. So there is quite a bit of difference, never really gave it much thought until now.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:38 AM
You should see the '89's, nothing but a worthless T-manifold. Wish I had a 4-1 or 4-2-1.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search