Power Steering Rack for an 82-86 Skyhawk/Sunbird - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Steering Rack for an 82-86 Skyhawk/Sunbird
Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:11 PM
Not sure what these are going for, but a guy on craigs list by me has a nib ps rack for $65. Anyone need me to pick it up for them?

Re: Power Steering Rack for an 82-86 Skyhawk/Sunbird
Friday, March 29, 2013 5:41 PM
I don't need it because I got an aftermarket one right after I bought my car.

I'm just wondering if it is a GM rack or an aftermarket one. If it's a GM rack, I wouldn't touch it for any amount of money--they were known for going bad.
Friday, March 29, 2013 8:02 PM
Oh don't say that! Mine is still original and I don't want to replace it.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:40 AM
'fraid so Josh.....LoL Have replaced both of mine in the Chevy @ Pontiac so it's common to all J's. Typical symptoms - first is the assist lacking on first startup of the day for a few seconds that just tends to get longer and longer as time goes by till you finally have none. It doesn't happen all at once though, The seals inside wear out. I got by with mine like that for a year or 2 before it said Bye bye. Second is the Pinion seal leaks in the drivers compartment. When this happens you'll be out of PS fluid , but can't figure out where it is going to. Thankfully there is a weep galley that allows the fluid to flow outside instead of accumulating in the floorboard. 4 Cyl. are fairly easy to get to, I can imagine the 6's are a PIA . One thing I noticed is that once you have the rack out, you have beautiful access to those heater core hoses if you wish to replace them!! :-)

Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:14 PM
Damn ...... my bird just started getting these symptoms the end of last year. Never changed a steering rack, how hard is it to change?

Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:28 PM
The problem wasn't isolated to the J-body, all GMs of the mid-80s had this issue.

It's mostly an issue in cold weather, so if you only drive in nice conditions and even if it's garage kept, you can get away without replacement for a long time; but when replacing, I would go with NAPA.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search