84 Cavalier Parking Brake Cable Stretched ? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Cavalier Parking Brake Cable Stretched ?
Sunday, April 07, 2013 8:29 AM
Ok, Putting new carpet in the brown Cav and going to put it on the road so I can get an inspection sticker. Only one problem, the parking brake cable seems to be stretched. If I pull the handle from the inside it just pulls up and does not click in. I adjusted the tension-er under the car as far as it will go. If I pull on the cables from under the car it sounds like the shoes are moving. I would like to pull off the drums and actually watch what is going on, but I have miss placed the wheel locks. I am hoping to order a replacement lock key on Monday morning (Luckily Gorilla lock company is still in business and I have the key code). Anyone have this problem and how easy is it to replace the cable from the handle back to the drum?

Re: 84 Cavalier Parking Brake Cable Stretched ?
Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:11 PM
I have done it. It is actually not that bad. My front cable broke (rusted through).

Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:59 PM
Make sure everything is connected underneath and that the shoes are adjusted right.

Fortunately both of my cables are able to be adjusted and work well. I do use them all the time to keep them from freezing up.

One tip to offer, is to push in that button as you raise the handle and let it out when you top out. I had to replace the brake handle assembly a long time ago on an "88 Camaro because the notches were worn out and it was an very unpleasant experience. Ever since then I refuse to "Zip" up the Parking Brake... even on my old Ranger that has the foot brake.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 6:30 PM
Thought my problem might have in the handle assy as I have had this problem since I got it. I just swapped over the handle assy from donor car when I replaced the carpet. I always do push in the button, just always have done it?

Hey Orlen, Just noticed your quote on your Sig picture.... Nice to see someone keeping the tradition alive!!!!

Sunday, April 07, 2013 8:55 PM
Well John once I get my nephews car done I plan on doing my ebrake cables for the rear.I guess in a few wks I will do so and snap pics of my upgrade once done.I have the parts already and my cables work but,there 20plus years old and not as tight as they use to be for sure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search