top going on - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
top going on
Monday, March 11, 2013 6:15 PM
just about done , almost looks like a real car

Re: top going on
Monday, March 11, 2013 6:28 PM
once the top is done a well needed bath is in order and maybe some polish

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:02 AM
Nice!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:48 PM
Looks Good!
Did you install it yourself or did you have it done?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:11 PM
trying to screw it up myself and doing a dam good job at that if i say so myself, just took for a test drive alls good with the top but soon as i hit boost car craps out LOL its only money think its a bad MAP

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:01 PM
Top looks wayyyyy better than the previous for SURE!I just fixed two things on a 02 civic for my nephew and that was a new alternator and belt and ps belt.Now had to remove LHS wheel to get at alternator lower adjust and one stud was misthreaded and just knew it would either stay stuck or break.Well it broke and now have to fix yet another bs item after doing work to fix something needed.Go figure.Wed is axle pulling day and already have the brakes off,and axle nut.Kinda tired and hands cut up or scratched really good from all the space I DID NOT have to do this work.See we all are having fun right.I'd rather swap maps for a stud on the wheel any day.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:57 AM
Ahaa!! Great Job on the top!!

Now ya don't have to slow down and drive with an open umbrella whenever a cloud appears overhead!! Be patient and just keep at a steady pace John. They always have a few bugs to get ironed out. I had the ICM go south on the Bird last year and experienced a tow home. Most all the parts on these old Js are very reasonable, if occasionally hard to come by. Eventually you have plenty of fun in the sun!! :-)

Ron, your nephew's Civic sure doesn't seem to be living up to the Honda/Toyoda reputation of buy it - drive it - just change the oil and it will run 500k. Not that I am wanting to start a car bashing rant on J-Body. Personally if any vehicle never needed any attention - just gas and oil I know I'd be so terribly bored with the whole experience! On a positive note you are getting some darn good experience working on the Honda - something I am totally ignorant about. Maybe the next ride he gets involved in, you might want to let him start turning the wrenches and have you as a guide and consultant! Nothing like first hand experience plus once deep under the hood for hours one appreciates the labor and is less apt to tear through the gears knowing what lay ahead when something goes Klunk and Bang! Better plan extra time for all this though, everything comes slower the first time around!!

One thing for sure! Your nephew sure is one lucky Lad to have a knowledgeable and willing Uncle to help him out!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:06 AM
hey john looks like mine same color scheme only mine is non turbo i have 1.8 5 speed manual it has 69,000 on it i take it to shows and i have won some awards including best of show for 80-89 i will try to post pics soon as i find out how im not very good with my computer tom stroup
Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:32 PM

HI Guys,

This is a picture of Tom Stroup with his Best of Show trophy at the United Street Machine Association's Billy Sohn's Memorial Car Show from a couple of years ago. He's put a lot of work into this beautiful Sunbird Convertible. I've not gotten the opportunity to teach him how to upload photos here at JBody. When I go to Tom's it's usually for him to do some service on either my Cavalier or my PT Cruiser. Yesterday he had a hell of a time replacing the front wheel bearings on my Cruiser...We finally got it cussed together (I sat and watched, and provided moral support). Tom did a good job.
Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:20 AM
the importance of a support person ( aka beer runner )can not be over rated , too much beer or not enough beer and the job just doesn't get done right

Sunday, April 07, 2013 7:33 PM
You're right, John!!! I usually estimate the amount of time a job will take by the number of brews it will take to perform it. I've been a good gopher for a LOOONG time, LOL, and when I do bring the beer, it's not the cheap crap!!!

An update: The members of the United Street Machine Association had our annual pre season meeting today with a great pot luck dinner. We're going to have some great events, and if your in the Metro-Detroit area, and would like to attend some Charity fund raiser car shows, if you read the Cruis'News Magazine, you'll find our events listed in the Magazine. All of our events are for local Charity Organizations such as the Shriners, Lions Clubs, (they raise money for Leader Dogs for the Blind, I learned today that one leader dog costs over $30,000 to train, and they are given to the blind). We have a lot of categories at our shows, so one has a great opportunity to win a trophy. Believe me, if I can win a trophy, anyone can! If your interested, feel free to contact me privately, and I'll give you some show information!

HAPPY CRUISIN' EVERYONE, IT'S TIME TO DUST OFF YOUR JBODY AND CRUISE!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search