Gravel Guard" paint below side moulding - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gravel Guard" paint below side moulding
Monday, April 08, 2013 6:36 PM
Hi J body fans,

I have an original '85 Type 10 Convertible and it has the "Gravel Guard" paint on the lower part of the side of the car below the side moulding. I remember it being on many GM cars of the 80s but wanted to know if it was factory installed or dealer add on? I have had judges say it was repainted but they are not familiar with these vintage of collector cars. Any information would be great. I don't know if that was an option with a RPO or not. Thanks all!

Re: Gravel Guard
Monday, April 08, 2013 7:10 PM
Have it on both of my Blue and Brown 1984 Type 10 Verts also. Factory option I believe, looks to be applied before paint. I have the original window sticker for the blue one and it is not listed as an option anywhere on the sheet. It could be part of the anti-corrosion treatment listed on the sticker for "NO CHARGE"

Monday, April 08, 2013 10:36 PM
Well sunny(my cavalier) has the same on both doors,front fenders,and quarter panels.It is kinda of a like undercoating painted but,smooth feeling but you can see the ruffle look on it.Mines a 85

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:34 AM
Original on my 84. I have had so much bodywork done it had to be removed

On the upside, it does lok really clean without it.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 5:32 AM
The stuff that GM used on the lower part of the cars as a "rock guard" treatment is called "Body Shutz" and is still available from 3M. You can get it from any auto body shop supply outlet. It is also a great treatment for frames, wheel wells, and undercarriages! You spray it on, then you can over coat it with the regular automotive paint on the rocker panels & lower doors/fenders/quarterpanels.
I always use it when I do restorations. It's a great product!

~ Mike ~

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 5:35 AM
Body Schutz is the correct spelling>

~ Mike ~

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search