cleaned up the rs so snapped some pics - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cleaned up the rs so snapped some pics
Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:39 PM
i had some free time today and was actually off work so i decided to take the wagon for a cruise. i was so happy that its running properly again that i decided to give it a good cleaning inside and out. it was long long overdue. i also attacked some of the rust that was on the car and the passenger side rocker was worse than i thought but i will post that in the "first gen rust" thread that i created. but anyway here are some pics before i put my homemade front spoiler on.

Re: cleaned up the rs so snapped some pics
Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:11 PM
Looks great!

Needs some of those old "rally" rims....I loved the ones my rs had....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:30 PM
thanks.

i would love to have a set myself but funds dont really allow me to get anything else. also i have never even seen a set around here before. i cant even find any style of z24 wheel in the junkyard.
Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:04 PM
Looks pretty straight to me.If I come across some wheels for the cheap I will let you know.I know buying some reburbished wheels can be pricy.Good pics and glad runs better for ya.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:31 AM
Lawd!!!!

How I was my Wagon was as rust free as this!! You one lucky fella!!

Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:33 AM
Nice
Rims will be hard to come by since the prices for metals have risen so much, junkyards make more money scrapping rims then selling them especially aluminum ones which is unfortunate as GM made some real nice ones back in the 80's.

My wife almost had one just like that but unfortunately before it was going to be sold to her it got T-boned and totaled by a red light runner .

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:09 AM
Very nice car.
I also like very much the color.
A lot of windows . On the modern cars you have difficultys to see outside of the car.
Specialty went you have to park .
Alain
Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:17 AM
VERYY nice wagon
Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:08 AM
Ron Love wrote:Looks pretty straight to me.If I come across some wheels for the cheap I will let you know.I know buying some reburbished wheels can be pricy.Good pics and glad runs better for ya.

thanks Ron. i appreciate it. the cheapest ive found the rally cavalier wheels are around $35 a piece on ebay. most junkyards ive been to charge between $80-$100 for a set.
Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:13 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Lawd!!!!

How I was my Wagon was as rust free as this!! You one lucky fella!!

thanks. its got the typical surface rust starting just about everywhere. the drivers side door, front and rear wheel wells, and the rockers. the passenger side rocker has it the worst. lets just say hole the size of a silver dollar. i ended up coating it all really well yesterday so hopefully i can get some good driving out of it before rust eats it alive. thankfully it doesnt have rust anywhere on the underside of the car so im lucky there.
Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:15 PM
looks nice. Love the color.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:03 PM
Jonathan Sheets wrote:thanks.

i would love to have a set myself but funds dont really allow me to get anything else. also i have never even seen a set around here before. i cant even find any style of z24 wheel in the junkyard.

second gen z rims near teh jeffie in nj

thats a sweet wagon you have. a nice engine swap would make that a great sleeper.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:36 PM
Paint still looks pretty good. I haven't seen a 1st gen wagon around here in a long time. My co worker had Celebrity Eurosport with the same color combination for about ten years.

I always thought these wheels looked good on the Cavs.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:49 PM
Keep diligent on the rust. I have kinda gotten use to keeping a good eye on my Wagon and take action ASAP. I like the Rust Inhibitor in the white bottle at WalMart. Think its called Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor. It sells for about $6 and has to be applied with a brush or roller. Goes on White - Once it turns black it can be painted over.

One area I can't emphasize enough to keep an eye on is the area under the bottom door sills. There is a very thick protective coating on this, and rust usually occures from the inside and by the time this protective coating is blistering, you've got a helluva hole to deal with. I have to work with rivets since I have light induced epilepsy and welding produces flashing lights that will knock me on my arse.

This weekend I finished installing 6 more shop lights in my garage I had picked up for free. Got them hooked up so I can turn on 4 , 2 and 4 separately as my needs change. All lit up it definitely help me see what I'm sanding and painting , since I seem to spend a lot of time keeping up with things.

Keep up the great work - You have a beautiful RS Wagon!! :-)

Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:40 PM
i was using the same rust inhibitor from wal mart. i applied around 2 to 3 coats of it and a coat or two of undercoating. i guess its kind of overkill but i didnt want it spreading anymore than it already has.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search