PS Pressure hose for my 84 OHC Turbo - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PS Pressure hose for my 84 OHC Turbo
Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:08 PM
So I went to Advance who have been my go-to guys for J-Body parts. They usually have everything the other guys don't....

I ordered a Edelman 71213 hose that says it will work on the OHC cars. The fitting are right, but the hose is too short and the bends are not correct. I did some searching on the net at a Edelman 71223 looks to be the correct part. I was finally able to separate my hose from the pump so I have something with which to shop around.

Once I get this squared away I am really (I mean it) gonna get the head back on. I found more stuff to powder but that willl not prevent me from getting things back together.

Re: PS Pressure hose for my 84 OHC Turbo
Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:57 PM
How badly rusted is the fitting the hose came off of at the pump? This looks like a potential problem area on the short blocks I've had a look at on the internet.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:02 AM
That is a nice clean block. The fitting was in really bad shape on the ps pump side. The metal bends for it were all rusted and the rubber hose was leaking. I will snap a side by side pic when I get the new one in.

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:52 PM
Ok, this is starting to suck.
71223 is much closer but the bends are still not right to clear the pump bracket. Thinking of calling inline tube and seeing what they can make for me. They are not that far away, but I was not planning on spending $50 on a hose that nobody will see .

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:28 PM
Sounds like that extra $20 - $30 might be worth it so you can get on with the assembly, Paul. Look at it this way - probably be the only one you'll ever have to buy for it.

I know how ya feel though, I never did find a Heater Core for mine. Turned out all I needed was a new T-Stat - still that core is in the back of my mind......what if mine goes....what if!

Of course, you know as soon as everything is back together you'll run into a stock / correct fitting hose....
Ain't that the way it always goes!!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:18 PM
I thought I would share my frustration with you...

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:06 PM
Well that does seem to be a touch wayyyy off from the original,.Idk what to suggest.Unless you go to a shop that does custom fitting hoses as such.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:47 AM
At least the ends are right on this one. The 71213 did not have the bend at the end and was much worse.

I am in the process of sorting through the following numbers to see if any of them are correct:

AC Delco - 36355950
19146944 36355950
19147065 36358270
Corteco #596
Gates 355950
Gates 358270

If any of you OHC guys have replaced your pressure house, I would really like to find out what you used. I believe the turbo and n/a parts are the same.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:32 PM
Do you have a picture of the 71213 they sent you? From what I can tell in the photo it looks identical to what you need.

Friday, April 26, 2013 4:49 AM
Hey Josh-

Unfortunately, I returned it. The 71213 I had received had is fitting on the pump side running in parallel with the line (without the turn at the end. Are you able to see one in person that does not have that? Did I some how get the wrong part?

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:07 AM
I will check the stores when I work tonight. We sell powercraft power steering hoses out here in my area but the part numbers are the same. I'm thinking what you got may have been boxed wrong.

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:39 AM
Josh-

I have been surfing at Advance and Orielly. In a weak moment, I went over to the pep boys site and they are showing a Omega Part # 6909901678 that is marked as turbo specific. It of course comes with the turbo price of $31.99. I have found it entertaining (and painfully expensive) that when you put the word "turbo" next to either "2000" or "sunbird" that the price on everything seems to double.

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:58 PM
In my research it seems that the powercraft brand we carry that that part is also specific to a turbo model. Ours runs $15.99 and it has to be ordered factory direct.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:49 AM
Hey Josh-

Thanks for looking for me. I ended up returning the 71223. I didn't want to eat any more shipping charges so I ended up ordering it from Pep Boys yesterday. It was in at 8:00 this morning and i went and picked it up. It is a made in USA part so that may explain some of the price increase.

Here we are -Omega #690 next to the stock hose:

Will be back at reassembly today

Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:19 AM
Paul good deal on that match.I did some research the other night even on rock auto and there hose selection was ok ,but the hoses were too long or short,long bend or too tight.I gave up after a half hour being tired and kinda annoyed trying to find the right one!GOOD FOR YOU

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:08 AM
Ron-

I saw the same part on rockauto and amazon for cheaper, but I was willing to pay more to have it in hand and be able to return it without getting stuck for shipping again if it was not right. This Omega part bolted right up - the way it is supposed to be.
Thanks for everyone's support on this. I had a prettu productive night last night and will post pics.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:50 PM
Glad to hear your problem was solved.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search