84 Cav Auto to Manual Trans Swap Question - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Cav Auto to Manual Trans Swap Question
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:25 PM
1986 Firenza 2.0 with a 4 speed manual. Want to swap it into a 1984 Cav Auto trans. Could be getting the entire car for parts, pretty sure everything will bolt right up. Anyone know for sure? Does anyone out there have a Firenza?

Potential donor car

Thanks,

John

Re: 84 Cav Auto to Manual Trans Swap Question
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:55 PM
Idk why it would not.That looks exactly like my engine and being a J it all is the same stuff on the hard core items.There maybe some mild differences on a few odd items but,as long as the trans,mounts and cables look spot on the same you probably will be fine.I am kinda wore out yardwork all afternoon and a touch of sunburn.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:50 PM
Now where have I seen this Olds before? Definitely remember those red wheels!!

Surprised to discover Olds sold both OHC and OHV engines, the ones at the old Yard I frequented had the Brazil engines.

Pretty sure you are swapping this in the the Brown Vert, John. If so, you'll be going back to a distributor Ignition since you are presently running a 2.2. Swapping the wiring harness and computer will be mandatory. Cross fingers and hope your IC will still function, since Olds has a completely different dash. You'll need to cut a hole in firewall for clutch, luckily you have the Blue Vert for a guide.

Only other issues I can think of would be the splines in the front hubs possibly being different, and the transmission mount location. Nothing time money and talent can't take care of!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:08 PM
Dash is definitely different. But the car was a TOTAL mess. Seller wants $800 for it and about the only salvageable parts are the front header panel, transmission and possibly the engine. I have been watching it for sale since November of 2012 when he was asking $1,200 for it. He claimed I could drive it home 150 miles with the rear trailing arm rusted badly (well not me). Really that car is a LOT worse than the pictures show and it should be scrapped . I have concluded that I do not want a 4 speed even though that one seemed to function pretty good with a weak clutch........ Well the search continues for the donor 5 speed.

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:42 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Now where have I seen this Olds before? Definitely remember those red wheels!!

Surprised to discover Olds sold both OHC and OHV engines, the ones at the old Yard I frequented had the Brazil engines.

Pretty sure you are swapping this in the the Brown Vert, John. If so, you'll be going back to a distributor Ignition since you are presently running a 2.2. Swapping the wiring harness and computer will be mandatory. Cross fingers and hope your IC will still function, since Olds has a completely different dash. You'll need to cut a hole in firewall for clutch, luckily you have the Blue Vert for a guide.

Only other issues I can think of would be the splines in the front hubs possibly being different, and the transmission mount location. Nothing time money and talent can't take care of!

Orlen why would he need a distributor, wiring harness, & computer just for a transmission change especially to a manual transmission? I don't think he'd need any of that for it to run right.

Than Olds would make a nice drag car if it's as far gone as you say John, I can already picture a Rocket 350 in the engine bay lol.

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:49 AM
John, there is an 86' z24 in my local salvage yard with a 4 speed in it. Its like the 87' skyhawk they have there. Both are relatively intact still.

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:44 AM
Reason I wrote that Spike , was because John is running a later 2.2 + Auto in his '84 Vert and knowing the 2.2's used only 5 spds, I was guessing he was going to swap engine and transmission together. Maybe I missed something.

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:41 PM
Was going to swap the engine and trans from the Olds as a set. Would have paid a little more for it if the motor was stronger and trans had a new clutch it it. Thanks for the offer Josh but I think the shipping would kill me and I think the V6 5 spd is different than the 4 cyl.
Plus I am looking for a complete car with everything I need.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search