My latest rs problems - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My latest rs problems
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:44 PM
Well today I drive about 30 miles from town for my fiancé to visit her mother. The car drives fine the whole way there. Then we go to leave to go to town for food. As I'm backing down the drive the car stalls and dies. Try to start it back and it will not start. I pop the good pull tr air cleaner off and sure enough the injector isn't spraying fuel. The fuel pump is priming and fuel is getting to the throttle body so I guess the injector has decided to die. I suppose that's what I get for reusing the stock injector when I rebuilt the throttle body.

I also didn't expect for a replacement injector for the parts store to cost a awesome 89.99 looks like I'm going to find a used one until I'm able to get a new one from rock auto.

My luck is great.

Re: My latest rs problems
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:50 PM
Did I not say check your injector!Just picking with you and I guess lesson learned already.I know when I did my tbi rebuild it was due to my injector starting to run to rich.But at the time I went ahead and did my whole unit so done it was at one time.I did hit a problem back when I did this.Auto zone sold me the correct part # item just the injector was WRONG in the box.It fit and and looked similar however I had to return it and got pics from advance auto parts and clearly I could see the difference and they were like uh you used this.I then said yeah how the freak do you think I figured out the injector in the box was packaged wrong and yet the right part #!The injector was dumping fuel and I immediately took it out,brake cleaned and next day trip to the zone.I got my money back after showing THEM the pic of the right item and back then it was just a fluke thing.I think I paid 74.00 for mine and had to wait a couple days with advance but,got it and worked fine.So the moral of it was had everything together and a wrong part and or wrong application and crappy it was.You will iron it out and as long as you get a injector out of a 2.0 it should fit,just lightly clean it to get you by.These are sensitive parts to strong cleaners and scrubbing.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:22 PM
definately knew that this would end up coming back to bite me when i reassembled thethrottle body. but of course i didnt listen to my gut. hope to go to pull a part tomorrow when they open grab an injector and throw it in just to get the car out of her yard. when funds allow i will buy a new oem injector from rockauto. ialso read around on various sources online and seen that also a bad icm could cause an injector not to spray when the car is started.
Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:03 AM
My dad has come across a few of those early to mid 80s GM cars with injector driver failure. Did you check your resistance on the injector? Also if you have access to a scanner check and see what your reading is for injector pulse width. If it reads 0 volts its good chance you lost the driver. If you don't have a scanner I believe it should get a 5 volt signal from the ECM at crank. Something else to check to is the crank sensor. If I'm not mistaken if the ECM doesn't receive crank sensor signal it won't fire the injector or ignion module.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search