Idle problems and running rich - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Idle problems and running rich
Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:58 PM
Ok let me start by saying that i have had this car for less than a year. About 6 months. I love the car 2.0 for that year. The great gas milage. Recently though when I go to start it just stumbles. Sometimes it smooths out. Sometimes it will die. Another thing i have noticed is a rich condition now. I am thinking it might be throttle body but not sure. Looking for suggestions. I miss my good gas mileage. Getting about 22mpg. Oh and now i have sluggish throttle response when giving a heavy foot. Just bogs down. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Idle problems and running rich
Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:14 PM
o2 sensor?
Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:19 PM
I'd say O2 sensor too. The new Ethanol laced gas destroys them at an alarming pace nowadays.

~ Mike ~

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:44 PM
Ok thanks will buy it today and let u know how it goes and if works. I was thinking o2 sensor to.
Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:47 PM
Exactly what parts are you looking for?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:13 PM
If the oxygen sensor does not make the difference I will suggest some items.I would remove the air cleaner and look at the injector itself for (dripping,bad spray pattern) and throttle it up and down while doing the visual.It could be your fuel pressure regulator as well causing the crazy idle,and def running rich.Also please tell us about your car.Like year,model and auto or manual etc.These things help us help you isolate the issues in the future.I want go as far to say a bad map sensor or tps issue just yet.Sounds more like a fuel delivery issue being the injector or fpr on the tbi itself.Have any pics of the car? too.

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:43 AM
+1 to what Ron said - The more info you give, the more we can assist you

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:42 PM
Ok to start from the beginning its an 83 chevy cavalier sedan automatic 3 speed. 2.0. She is in ruff condition. I changed the o2 sensor. I am still having the same problem. Although the smell of fuel is not as bad. What should i do next. I am thinking its time for a complete rebuild of the tbi with brand new regulator and fuel injector.
Monday, April 22, 2013 4:41 PM
Are you sure the Cat is not plugged up?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search