I discovered there are different kinds of Factory Manuals - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I discovered there are different kinds of Factory Manuals
Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:52 PM
This one came as a surprise!

Ordered a second Factory manual for my old wagon off EBay and got a bonus I wasn't expecting in the process. Seems there are 2 different kinds of Factory Manuals. One is a Service Manual, and the other is a Shop Manual. I always thought the Cavalier Manual I had was a little short on some things. The Shop Manual has a lot more information, I noticed it has some Schematics on color too -very helpful!! You can see in the photo the Shop Manual is thicker.

Just for a gag I thought I'd share a photo of the thickness of 3 "Service" Manuals I have from 1986 through 1998. They just get more and more complicated as time passes by......and the Manuals have to get thicker and thicker!!

Re: I discovered there are different kinds of Factory Manuals
Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:44 PM
This is the one I have. I think it's the official service manual anyway. It's certainly got a lot more technical information than the average "shop manual". At some point someone took a sharpie to it for some reason. Who knows!

Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:09 AM
The one I bought at xmas is thick too with pretty much everything! I like the haynes and chiltons too bc they make looking up quick items easier like torque,and just good pics of certain things.Plus I have other manuals pertaining to the obd one stuff and focused more on emissions and explaining how things actually work so you understand it before digging into a problem.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:15 AM
Very true - cars are getting more complicated. GM is in the process of expanding its SPO labels to handle more RPO codes. Just a high level indicator of increasing complexity. Get ready for bigger manuals

Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:56 PM
I have the 1984 Oldsmobile shop manual, but there are two books for 1984.

One book is the Chassis Service Manual for Firenza, Cutlass Ciera and Cutlass Cruiser, the other is Electrical Troubleshooting, All Series.

Both books are about as thick as that single 1994 Buick book.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:21 PM
Orlen, does your shop manual have the steps for removing the dashboard in a Z24?

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:36 AM
Photos of Z24's I have from internet seems to simply use Type10(RS) dash panel. Have info for this.

Have other diagrams of related components if you are in need. Just let me know what it is and I'll pop it up on here for you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search