V8Z24 ...for real ! - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8Z24 ...for real !
Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:18 AM
Cody-

That car looks awesome as is. It is going to be STELLAR with paint.

For audio, I replaced my dash speakers with pioneer 3.5s in the dash. I run 6x9s on the side of the seats and a kenwood 10" sub in the trunk. I use the capacitor crossover method - highs in front, mids in rear and lows to the sub. Everything is driven by an upgraded but stock appearing head unit.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:44 PM
Buying some BLING!!

Looks like rolling time is getting closer and closer!!

Hope Slick Vics videos got your heart pounding for your own asphalt pounding!! Looking forward to seeing yours on here soon!!

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:54 AM
Thanks guys!,

Well, This is my last update before I head off to Gagetown. The course I'm taking shouldn't take too long so hopefully I'll be back on here with some REAL updates, but until then this'll have to do haha.

The only thing I ordered that came in was my pro-street emblem so far.
I bought two new speaker boxes for my 6x9's since there is going to be no other place to mount them haha(Figured I'd buy a K&N filter while I was in the store. I have a nasty impulse buying habit.)

I cleaned the carpet as much as I could(must of lost about 10 points in sand), and painted most of the trim. I must say it's actually looking good. Once I get the car back, I can fit the carpet in it again and probably cut about three inchs off all around.

I'm kind of angry with the guy doing my wiring.
The car has been there for a few weeks now, and the only work that's been done has been snipping off the ECM wires. Absolutely nothing else has been done to the car, ON TOP OF it sitting outside in the rain starting to get covered with a little bit of rust.
I really wish I would of just tackled it myself at this point, but wiring really isn't my strong point haha.
Had to go out and buy a thermoswitch for the fan too. Starting to get all fancy now
Tuesday, June 04, 2013 4:33 PM
did you end up putting a spoiler on it? i've been looking for one for my 82 J2000 hatchback... any thoughts loving the tread, can't wait to see more.
Tuesday, June 04, 2013 5:22 PM
Aaron Agar wrote:did you end up putting a spoiler on it? i've been looking for one for my 82 J2000 hatchback... any thoughts loving the tread, can't wait to see more.

No I didn't. I couldn't find one to buy, plus I like the looks of it now anyway.They're way too hard to find. Could always add later on down the road .
HOWEVER, I was at a party where there was a first gen with front spoiler(I was shocked..), never found out who owns it, and I didn't want to be the kind of guy who decided to grab my tools out of my trunk and steal it haha. So needless to say, I couldn't ask if he would sell it for a pretty penny.

As for an update on the car since I haven't posted on here for a while...
So, we took the car to another place the day I got back from Gagetown, and the next day he called and said he had it running. It's been out there for a week or two now though and hasn't had anymore done to the car(The guy doing it, had his motor blow up so obviously he has to get his needs done first), but I don't mind because the car is RUNNING.
Need to get a driveshaft cut and we can drive it(cautiously with no brakes ahahah) I also picked up a few goodies for it.

My two jobs aren't giving me too much work at the moment, so I'm in a situation where I kind of need some money.
I need money bad enough I'm trying to sell my Nova. It's been my project since even before I had my lisence haha.
However, if the nova sells, I get money to 1)finish the hatchback(SWEET?), 2) make Brittany happy and buy stuff for the apartment, 3) BUY A '55, and 4) and as of tonight, finish my 90 z24 ahahah.

Also, if the car sells, I'm going on a hunt for a t56 6-speed to shove in the hatchback, and paint it finally. I have to do the body completely over because the lazy prick that was suposs to do my wiring originally left it outside for over a month in rainstorms...but on the plus side, I think I found someone to paint my car for cheap, and who is actually a fantastic painter.

I was at the car show trying to sell leftover parts I had in the fleamarket, and went for a walk and seen this!

ALL original 1987 RS 'vert. An older lady owns it and said it works like new. It is soooo clean, and has nothing wrong with it.
She was even complaining she can't get door sweeps for it ahah.

This was probably the saddest sight at the car show (for me at least.)

I got a little bored not doing too much work or anything, so I decided to try and get the body done on my 90 z24 tonight. Knowing the way my life is going, I probably won't get my hatchback back for a week or two, so I thought it'd be a good idea to work the body so I can paint it and have it done before I get the hatchback back. I'm going to paint the car myself, and if I do a good enough job on it, I might just do the hatchback myself and not get the other buddy to paint it for me haha.
here's a picture of the car half an hour after I started.

I took the fender off, and I'm going to order a new one tomorrow. I took the spoiler off to clean up the rust that was on the trunk, also took the taillights out to do a better job.
I'm painting this car a funky silver color, and having all blue accents on the car. (already painted my 3.4 blue and a few other odds + ends so why not)

Also, here's a picture of my girlfriends 4-door 94 cav trying to fit in at a car club meeting.

That's my update for right now.
I can't wait to get the hatchback back so I can start working on it again. (I have dreams about it at night, so it's kind of bad I haven't had it for 1-2 months now hahaha)
Tuesday, June 04, 2013 6:21 PM
Like that 87 Vert. I know how you feel about the car being left out in the rain. Dropped off my 71 Lemans to be painted and have rear quarters replaced. It was suppose to take 2 months, well a year later it was done. I would have pulled it out of there but it was my best friends brothers shop. The worst part was that it was left outside uncovered all that time and it was a convertible.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 1:19 PM
I had the opposite problem, when my 84 was in for body work the shop made a really nice 65 GTO sit outside

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:13 PM
If I ever get to the paint status a car cover is going with mine(waterproof) just for reasons like that.My car has not been outside since 07. Btw nice nova!!!!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:06 PM
Well, I finally brought the car back home, due to disappointment with the new guy as well.
I completely did the body in my 90 cavalier z24 and repainted it, within the time that buddy has had my car. He didn't touch it at all after he got it running. Got it back filled with beer cans, water, and even more crap.

So I brought it home, and we just cleaned the car up, and I'm ready to start some real work on this thing again. First plan is to get it completely rust-free(after it sitting outside for what? 3 months? in the rain.)

Here's a few pictures my girlfriend snapped tonight. Just me daydreaming aboot driving it.

And here's a couple more pictures, to show you what I've been up to for the past few weeks.

Figured I'd post an update since I haven't for quite a while.

Frig am I ever happy I have my car back home.
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:00 PM
Like your Z and the contrast in color touches are actually A OK even to me.At least your drag ride looks solid and you have worked hard to get it to a point where most might just have given up.Looks like you have cleaned up outside your garage area compared to the previous pics looks better.I commend you with a A + for all your hardwork and once paint is on the drag racing J it will look super sweet!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:10 PM
I agree with Ron!!
Some folks go crazy with the contrast colors - your restraint is very pleasing to the eye - just that right amount of tease!!

Ahhhh ....... - If only I had your painting expertise and equipment.........you do wonderful work!!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:55 AM
as if the urge to get mine painted wasn't enough...

Nice job on that 2nd gen Z!!!
Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:50 PM
Both cars look good. The 2nd gen Phase 1 is my favorite body style of all the Cavs. You running a 2.8, 3.1, 3400 or 3500 in it?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys
I'm running a 3.4 in the 90. (The car's also for sale if anyone's interested)

So, me and my buddys got bored tonight, so we took the battery out of the nova, and a plug-wire out of the 90, and decided to get the hatchback to run for a while.
As soon as we started it, oil pissed out everywhere because we didn't have the hole for the oil pressure gauge filled. What a mess.
After we plugged it, we had it going and the timing is waaaay out of whack, and I think the carb's a little dirty and could use a rebuild, but it still went!
Open headers + all. The neighbors weren't too happy I think.
I'm going to have to pick up some new plug wires, rebuild my carb and borrow a timing light for this thing. I couldn't stop grinning once I got the car going though.
Getting way too excited to work on it.
Now to get the wiring done so I can start piecing this beast together! That's all thats holding me back.
Before you know it, it'll be hitting the streets!
Friday, June 28, 2013 8:34 PM
Due to how boredom + @!#$ty weather,
I decided to work on the hatch tonight!
Since the car ran like complete crap, I decided to put a aluminum intake on that we had laying around, along with a rebuilt carb I did a few years ago.
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up new intake manifold gaskets, and I need to price new wires. Hell, I might even buy a new cap + rotor.

See the reason I had to borrow a plug wire off the 90? Performer intake + rebuilt quad!

You can see what kind of crappy hackjob the last guy did to my wiring too in the second picture.
Monday, July 01, 2013 6:30 PM
Badass build. I definitely dont make it into this part of the JBO enough and this is the kind of cool stuff I miss.

Keep on keeping on.

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:35 PM
Thanks haha, here's another shot.
I'm stuck on base again for a couple weeks without being able to go home to work on this,
but enjoy this.

Had to stick it on just for looks
I still need to stick the performer on but I haven't had time due to me and the woman moving into a new place, and then me coming here to base.
Monday, July 01, 2013 8:32 PM
great to see you back at it. I like the Mr. Horsepower sticker on the 90. I have one on my 94 Z28.

Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:03 PM
Thanks, it feels good to be back at it haha.
progress would be when I visited home from work, and found out dad painted under my hood, and put on my intake in my absense.

Bought new distrib and plug wires, so hopefully it'll be running right with them and the rebuilt quad.
Started to tear the front apart too, on jack stands so we can stick the 1-inch spacers under the front too.
Back on base, and here for a little bit longer, I can't wait to work more on this. machine shop should be doing driveshaft asap too.
Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:18 PM
Nice more purple real color to luster it up.Slow but,hey it is getting small updates and that is all that matters.

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:24 PM
Got weekend off, and day 1 is productive.
cleaned the engine bay up some, and got some carpet laid inside ready to be cut up and put in for good. Also got a brand new battery so I don't need to borrow one out of the Nova! with 10mm wires and stuff.

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:34 PM
Nice progress and carpet adds a lot to improve a more complete interior.I like the upgrades so far.

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:06 PM
Oh man that thing is gonna move!

Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:12 PM
Thanks guys,
Had most of the interior in, and decided to take it out because of how much bodywork is left to do, not to mention overspray from paint.
Been tackling the wiring, but I'm not the best at wiring so progress is slow, but at least it's getting there! had to cut up a few harnesses for plugs, and switchs, but it's all good. Hopefully it'll be done soon though so I don't have to worry about it. Fuel cell wires are ran, killswitch is done, windshield wiper motor, reverse light, etc etc.
To finish the wiring, it'll be the gauges hooked up, light switch put in (not using 87 z24 dash + switch, so have to reroute all wires into base model 85 switch), brake switch(that's going to be when the brakes are done since the switch is in the prop valve), the headlights redone, fan hooked up with it's own temp sensor, and a few other things. At least most of the wires are in the correct places, just need to figure out the remaining ones and redo them.

Also started tackling the brakes.
Got the bracket for the rear so I got predone lines and hooked up the rear lines attatched to the rearend, and ran a line all the way to the front.
What's left to do now, is hook up the front brake lines, and figure out the mounting of master cyliner/prop valve/line lock. Space is limited.

Hoping to have the brakes done soon, and bleed them so I don't have to worry about them anymore.
Since we're going to be able to stop the car soon, the driveshaft is getting shortened! That means the car's going to be able to be drove around soon.
Hoping to get some video's once it is actually ready to go up the road.

It being said that its soon to be drivable, also means that its soon going to be painted(excited), and then stuck back together completely!
Inner-fenders are in process of being made at the moment as well.
Monday, July 29, 2013 5:19 PM
Went over for a few hours today.
Tried figuring out more of the wiring and didn't get too much done.
decided to get the car running again to see how it is since new carb, distrib + intake..... It sounded a lot better then before .

All the smoke coming off from the header coating... What a lovely smell haha.

Brakes should be done next time I go over, so all I'm really waiting on is the interior wiring to be finished, along with a driveshaft cut.
Once this thing is mobile, It's going to be a huge plus.

Here's a video for you guys.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201064982481282&l=4140549383811312359
It's nothing special, but it's to show that the car IS running.
Started playing with the throttle after i stopped recording
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search