No spark!!!!!! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No spark!!!!!!
Monday, April 29, 2013 6:13 AM
So big brown sandy (my 86 cavalier hatchback) died out on me a bout a week or 2 back. I've narrowed down the problem to being no spark, already gone and replaced the ignition coil. Still no luck. Was gonna replace the ignition control module until I found I can get a whole new distributor assembly with icm for an extra $30. And my distributer gears and rotor are super duper rusty so it's best to replace the whole thing. Now my question is this, how simple of a job is it to swap the distributor shaft? I figured it was just unbot, slide out, and slip the new one in??

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~

Re: No spark!!!!!!
Monday, April 29, 2013 11:47 AM
That's about all there really is to getting the old part out. Just make sure you either mark the location of your rotor before you remove the assembly; or set the engine with cyl. #1 at top dead center and drop the new assembly in with the rotor pointing at cyl. #1.

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:11 PM
Agreed crank the engine at the crankshaft bolt and dial in the #1 on the distributor first.Then use some white paint and mark the base of the mounting point on the distributor on the block(not the old distributor).IF for some reason you get your timing off even a degree or more (on my experience with sunny) it just tried cranking but,no fire.I know this is NOT the case with all cars however it was finnicky about getting it just so perfect to fire.I had to yank mine bc I did my intake gasket and painted my block SO no MARKS to be made.I had to go wayyy old school and remove the #1 plug crank engine with a long flat screwdriver in the cylinder and get it to rise to the highest point of compression just before the downstroke for exhaust.It took several tries but got it and had to time the car with the ONE plug on strut tower unplugged to get it dialed in and rechecked several times once running before plugging it back up.They call this the averaging method and a touch dusty in memory but, I can do it all day.Sorry for the book just wanted to explain my situation several yrs ago.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 3:18 PM
Okie dokie. Sounds n looks simple enough. I'm just waiting for some cash to roll in before I can order the assembly. Once I start doing the work ill be sure to take some pictures and post them. I'll make my own little guide for you guys.

~~1986 Chevy Cavalier CS~~
~~2.0 TBI~~
Wednesday, May 01, 2013 5:18 PM

Like Josh and Ron said.

Take your time, line up the rotor and make sure you have a shop manual and a timing light on hand.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search