Power Seat Upgrade - 95 Buick Skylark - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Seat Upgrade - 95 Buick Skylark
Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:59 PM
Snagged another power seat unit for my 89 Z24 convertible for $25. This one came out of a 95 or 96 Buick Skylark with a 60/40 bench seat. I was really surprised the 60% drivers side bench seat section used power seat tracks that fit in a j-body. The down side is that the seat does not use a separate switch garnish molding, so I am missing one piece of the conversion puzzle this time. The switch is mounted directly to the seat frame so I still need to find the plastic garnish molding to hold my switch once I get it installed in my z24. I had to cut off the seat belt latch section and trim the track mount which bolts the track to the floor, same as the Grand Am unit I installed last weekend in my Sunbird convertible. I like these 90's power seat units better than the ones from the 80's because they have a tie bar to give the seat tracks rigidity once out of the car and the tops that bolt to the seats are steel, unlike the previous GM ones I have seen in which the tops were aluminum and would get broke up from folks flopping on the seat getting in and out.

Once I get the assembly home, I tear it all apart, clean everything, lubricate all moving parts, paint the unpainted steel parts, test the motors, reassemble and have a like or better than new unit ready to be transplanted into a drop top j body. The power seat units come apart easily with no special tools and anyone with some mechanical aptitude can transplant one in their j body as an easy upgrade.

I wonder how much that option cost when new?

good luck junk yard hunting....I need one more and then will have one for all 3 of my drop tops.

Re: Power Seat Upgrade - 95 Buick Skylark
Monday, May 06, 2013 2:04 AM
Thanks for the info. My 1986 Cavalier Convt has the driver power seat and the track is loose. The track is worn badly, good to know ohter GM cars use the simular seat tracks. Now to start the fun part, diggging in junk yards.
Monday, May 06, 2013 5:07 AM
Thinking I would like some power seats in my 84...

Monday, May 06, 2013 2:45 PM
I thought all convertible jbodys came with power seats on the passenger side.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, May 06, 2013 4:44 PM
To date I haven't even seen a passenger side power seat - not even in a Cimarron!

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:46 PM
I have seen full size cadillacs with power seats on both sides though those tracks will not fit the jbody floor mounting location as far as I know. The Grand Am, Skylark and 80's Camaros and Trans Ams only had drivers side power seats, the passenger sides were manual in the ones I got the power seat units from. I suppose you could make the passenger side power, but you would have a hard time finding an add on switch carrying garnish molding or have to make your own switch holder. The 3 motor mounting plate and motors and interchangeable from the 80's to the 90's so I imagine any GM 6 way power motor set up would work to replace a dead motor. I have started to collect power seat motors since I had one a single go bad recently, so I have been snagging them when they are cheap, like $5 for a cluster of 3 since you never know when you need a spare. A single motor can run as much as $50 on ebay so I am buying now while they are still available and cheap. I suggest others do the same since this is an easy upgrade and makes cruising nicer when there are multiple drivers to please. I took several photos tonight of the differences in the power seat units I may post them some time if I get the chance....not sure when that will ever be though.

If you read my Grand Am power seat upgrade post, you will read you do not need to have a power supply to move the seat to get at hidden bolts if you follow the disassembly procedures I posted there. Chime in if anyone adds a power seat to their car this summer

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:45 AM
I would like to post a thank you to a couple of gents on this forum. First to Keith Hunt for sending me power seat racks, harness and switch so I could upgrade my '84 Cavalier to power seats. My very good friend Tom Stroup installed the racks and hooked up the harness and switch,and for now we've got the switch placed on the right side of the seat, so I can operate it. This has made my driving experience so MUCH more enjoyable, as I have physical issues with my legs. The power seats have made it so I am now VERY comfortable driving my car. The seat racks have also made it so I have a much easier time getting into the car as well. I will no longer be in pain when I drive it for a long period of time. Previously when I would participate in a cruise event, or drive to a car show over an hour or two away, I would become uncomfortable, and just could not get my left leg into a comfortable position to drive. Thankfully, that's now behind me. I am so looking forward to driving the Woodward dream cruise this year and also driving to the small town of Harbor Beach, Michigan for their car show in July. Thanks again, this is one heck of a forum.

I also want to thank Orlen Brown for sending Tom Stroup and I a wheel well molding for his '85 Cavalier convertible. Tom's in the process of getting his Cavalier put back together and getting it insured so he can enjoy it again. We looked for nearly three years to find the parts to put his Cavalier back together after he was involved in an accident, where just his front fender and wheel well molding were substantially dented. He's made a lot of progress towards getting this car back on the road again. I'm gonna go to Tom's home and polish the living daylights out of that molding so we can install it and cruise.

YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST, AND WE WANT TO THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:51 PM
Nice Job All!

Walt - I will look for that seat trim for you this weekend.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:18 PM
That's great news Walt. I love my power seat because it allows for changes the manual tracks do not permit. I like sitting close for longer distance driving and farther back for around town stops when getting in and out is done often. So glad to hear that a simple power seat has restored driving pleasure to your and your ride.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:16 PM
wait ur saing u found a bench seat that fits in a jbody...interesting
i half thought about making a front bench seat for my car before
Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:57 PM
Corey Dorman wrote:wait ur saing u found a bench seat that fits in a jbody...interesting

I don't think anyone here was talking about bench seats. I think maybe you should inject your negativity and condescending comments somewhere else.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:19 PM
Corey,

I have the standard J Body bucket seats on my Cavalier. The seats that are presently in mine were plucked a couple of years ago from a 91 Pontiac Sunbird. They fit the car perfectly.

Walt
Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:22 PM
84conv wrote:
Corey Dorman wrote:wait ur saing u found a bench seat that fits in a jbody...interesting

I don't think anyone here was talking about bench seats. I think maybe you should inject your negativity and condescending comments somewhere else.

U need to calm down buddy. I was being serious
Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:25 PM
Walter Lewis wrote:Corey,

I have the standard J Body bucket seats on my Cavalier. The seats that are presently in mine were plucked a couple of years ago from a 91 Pontiac Sunbird. They fit the car perfectly.

Walt

Yeah I read that a little fast and got excited. Thought someone put a bench seat in the front but I guess it was just the power unit from one? But anyway I thought of doing a bench but it would kinda look sill cuz the cars not wide enuff for it to be benificial.
Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:48 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:To date I haven't even seen a passenger side power seat - not even in a Cimarron!

Sorry, I meant, all came with power driver seats*. I know for sure all 2nd and 3rd gen convertibles came with power drivers seats so I assumed 1st gens did.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, June 07, 2013 1:14 PM
Walt-

Can I get a picture of the trim piece you want? I have checked through every N-Body in the yard and no dice. The oldsmobiles (classic) have a square switch housing that screws right into the fabric. The one that looked like it might work was out of a 95 Firebird.

Pic would help so I get the right thing...

Friday, June 07, 2013 2:06 PM
Paul,

I'll go out to the garage and take a picture of the switch with my cell phone, and I'll go through the process of posting it. Hmm, that reminds me that I gotta go out to the garage and disconnect the power cord to my Chair go so I don't over charge it...I'll also take some measurements of the switch and post those as well.
Friday, June 07, 2013 4:38 PM
Paul,

Here's a picture of the switch The switch is 6 inches long by about 2 inches wide.

The seat...

Saturday, June 08, 2013 9:42 AM
Might have one of those in my spare parts bin.......Two minute time lapse........ Just checked I have two so one is available if Paul has not already sourced it for you . This is from a Cimarron and was mounted on the plastic seat trim under the seat. I do not have the harness though.

Saturday, June 08, 2013 1:30 PM
I was not able to get one but looks like you guys have a positive match

Saturday, June 08, 2013 4:36 PM
Bill,
Now that Paul has let us know that he was not able to get one, I can check it tomorrow on my brown vert to see if is all is good with the operation. There is nothing worse than going to a junk yard (in this case Paul) and getting a part for someone and then they either don't need it or got it from somewhere else. Let me know if this is the switch that you need.

John

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:45 AM
Hi John and everyone.

I guess I didn't communicate very well. My switch is working well, what I need is the piece of trim that the switch screws into! Presently, I have it sitting next to the housing that contains the gear shifting console. As you guys know, it is supposed to sit on the left side of the seat in a piece of plastic trim.That plastic trim is what I need.

Yesterday, Tom Stroup and I went to a great "show and shine" called Blast from the Past that was literally on the shore of Michigan's Lake St. Clair. A great day, and we were happily surprised by meeting Paul94Z28. Paul was at the park, and he took a chance that Tom and I would be attending the show. Paul's got a beautiful 94 Red Z28 Camaro. We were able to speak for a few minutes and show off our J Bodies to him. Paul also gave us quick update on his Sunbird, and he's making progress and he hopes to have it road worthy in a couple of weeks. We invited Paul to come and join us at a benefit show in a couple of weeks. The show is in the City of Center Line, Michigan for a car show to benefit the Lions Club. The show will be produced by USMA (United Street Machine Association) and is open to everyone. There will be quite of number of trophies to be won, the categories will include older cars all the way to new cars, a couple of 50/50 raffles a dynamite box raffle, good food and a lot of cool cars to see! If you're in the Southeast Michigan area and are looking for a show, come and be a part of this show The show will benefit Leader Dogs for the Blind, a great organization that really benefits the blind. Each leader dog costs quite a bit of money to train, and are given to a blind person at no cost to them!

Thanks to everyone for your great efforts to help me out.
Monday, June 10, 2013 6:31 PM
Hey Walt-

After seeing it in person, I am thinking an earlier model cadillac deville should have something for us to hold that switch. I think parts galore has one and can investigate in a few weeks. We are a little busy the next few weekends with scout camp and going up north.

I am hoping to have the Bird ready in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to start and heat cycle the head bolts this week and then dress the engine. Down to a map pigtail, plug wires, alternator fan, and oil and filter. Starting to get excited.

It was nice meeting you guys as well. I am certain I have see your cars around the area . Thanks for the compliments on my Z28. It was my year-round daily from 96-01. I am still working to undo the corrosion damage from those winters. But - cars are a journey, not a destination. I never learned anything from an easy project that went well . I will be taking it to Milan in a couple weeks to hopefully collect the 12 sec time slip I have been looking for.

Monday, June 10, 2013 7:26 PM
So nice to hear Tom , Walter & Paul got a chance to hook up at the show!! Sounds like this year is shaping up well for some to get a little closer than the computer screen. We too, enjoyed meeting Mark and His Dad.....Super Nice Fellows!! Who knows what the rest of this year may have in store for us!!

I like your quote there, Paul!!

"....cars are a journey, not a destination. I never learned anything from an easy project that went well"

Very Well Put!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search