Parts Galore last weekend - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parts Galore last weekend
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:35 AM
Hey All-

I had to go to parts galore last weekend due to the frayed throttle cable on the MOPAR. It has been a while but I did find some interesting things. I have to go back at some point soon so I wanted to see if anyone wanted me to pick anything up.

Items of interest:

Beretta GTZ lower support brace - engine was out so it is an easy 4 bolt grab.

Black 87 Z24 - no bumper cover/spoiler/ and damaged side skirts

Only 1 Sunbird in the whole place. It is a 2.0 car. I was thinking of grabbing the ac parts I want but don't think the routing is the same on the non-turbo cars. I may just have to be ok with the condenser only.

Olds FE3 Calais - 87 cool but not much interchangeable with our stuff. I just want the Buick version so I look for them

Re: Parts Galore last weekend
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:41 AM
notice that their prices went up lately???

I bought a spare set of knuckles for a 00 cav for a wilwood swap with bearings and without a warranty it was 90 bucks!

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:59 AM
must be to cover the new customer appreciation program.

Still beats buying it new. Just disappointed that the pool of first gen parts is drying up...

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:50 AM
High scrap prices are adding to the cost of yard parts. They know they can get what we used to pay them just for the weight, so just like everyone else the greed factor sets in. I'm noticing a trend of some on here , including myself ,to resorting to just giving up and buying a whole donor car. Take what you want and still have enough weight left over to get some of your investment back out . If the deal is right you might just break even in the end. Some of us don't have the ability to tote a car , and there certainly isn't any problem finding someone to get what is left off your hands if you don't have any way to carry it off yourself! Trends appear to point to things only getting worse if the economy picks up because scrap prices will too.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:04 PM
Can't find anything for my 1985 pontiac sunbird at Parts Galore or any place for that matter.Had to go to both Detroit Parts Galores just to find a coolant tube.Still looking for other stuff but no luck yet.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:09 PM
I know at least my local yard charges more for alot stuff.Like if I went for a door they used to be 40.00 but price went up to 80.00 then they changed it wks back to like 62.00.If I brought a bad door in the price goes down as they have metal value and get the lower price.Plus the place was bought and new owners and so cost went up even on the simplest things stupid.I have yet to go in a few wks due to being too busy plus extra cash to buy things.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:09 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:Hey All-

I had to go to parts galore last weekend due to the frayed throttle cable on the MOPAR. It has been a while but I did find some interesting things. I have to go back at some point soon so I wanted to see if anyone wanted me to pick anything up.

Items of interest:

Beretta GTZ lower support brace - engine was out so it is an easy 4 bolt grab.

Black 87 Z24 - no bumper cover/spoiler/ and damaged side skirts

Only 1 Sunbird in the whole place. It is a 2.0 car. I was thinking of grabbing the ac parts I want but don't think the routing is the same on the non-turbo cars. I may just have to be ok with the condenser only.

Olds FE3 Calais - 87 cool but not much interchangeable with our stuff. I just want the Buick version so I look for them

You should get the FE7 Sway bar from the GTZ for your car. It should be Direct Acting. You will just probably have to cut the endlinks and weld them shorter but Its a cool swaybar.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:40 AM
Rob-

Unfortunately, that sway bar is gone. The whole drivetrain was pulled before I got to it and that brace was the only thing left down there. I will keep my eyes open as Beretta's seem to show up here and there...

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:18 AM
Paul94Z28 wrote:Beretta GTZ lower support brace - engine was out so it is an easy 4 bolt grab.

Are you talking about the typical FE3 lower subframe brace? Pic?

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:36 AM
James-

Yes, this is the typical FE3 one. I can't use it on my Pontiac as it interferes with the exhaust. I hear it is bolt-in for Cavaliers.

I don't have a pic. I will go back this weekend and snap one if it is stil there.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:40 AM
Is this the underbody brace I've heard about? I didn't know the brace from different cars would fit the J.

What cars match up? I almost always see a Z-26 in the boneyard.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:12 AM
Wayne-

From what little I know about the Beretta line, these were fitted on the GTZ cars (HO Quad 4) and not the GTU/GT cars with the 3.1 V6. The suspension on the Beretta was something in between a J car and N car (Grand Am). It appears to bolt right on to some J-cars. I ca tell you it will NOT fit my 84 Turbo as it interferes with the exhaust routing. I am assuming it will not work on the first gen OHC cars.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 2:16 AM
The J, L, and N all use the same subframes (up through 95 anyways, then the J is different, but the L bodies still had the same subframe bolt pattern, just a different rear CA bushing). If it's the brace I'm thinking of, it will fit any J with no issue, regardless of exhaust. It might not be the one I think it is, OR I just learned something new about exhaust routing on 1st gens.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 6:49 AM
James-
I was under the impression it would fit too. I bought a brand new one for pretty cheap and tried to bolt it up and found that it wanted to occupy the same space as my stock exhaust. I think I ended up selling it on eBay. It bolted right up on either side as advertised - just not both places at once

Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:05 PM
I went back and was able to snap some pics. I needed to get more parts for the MOPAR .

Pics coming later tonight...

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:04 PM
I'm drooling to see what you found. Lol.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:30 PM
Ok,

For starters, the GTZ was gone and there was another Beretta there with a 3.1. It had the brace:

a 3.1 Wagon that I had overlooked before:

a 2nd gen Z24:

an 86 Cavalier 4-door:

and the 87 Z24:

There were actually a few 4th gen F-Cars there as well. I was focusing mostly on getting the MOPAR parts I needed...

LMK if you guys see anything you want. I am guessing I will go back once more.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:27 PM
That 87z sure has alot of dents.Even tho it has alot of good parts left.Side glasses,rear tails,and center for license,dash looks ok,.If it were here I would have taken some of that.Can't justify shipping so much and cost when I have things to buy yet for my own ride.Good pics of what is left of those classic rides.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:31 PM
Forgot this one for Josh-

Airbox off of the 87 Z24

Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:11 PM
....Air Box made me think of John Mac. He'd surely been wanting another.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:33 PM
The tops of those look like the bottom of the stock turbo ones. They rust something awful.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:49 PM
Took last weekend off due to my wedding anniversary. Will try and go back this weekend.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:35 PM
Let me know if you need better photos of my parts.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:10 AM
Josh-
I was looking for a response back from you since I sent the price list. I wanted to make sure you were good with good with the prices and assumption that I would have to add shipping on to that.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:18 AM
Say i like that bumper/non flip up headlights more, would that fit/align on my 88 sunbird?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search