manifold to cat pipe - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
manifold to cat pipe
Friday, May 10, 2013 11:05 AM
Anyone know where I can get a new one?

Mine rusted in front of the cat last night, for now I'm just gonna stick a sleeve on it to keep it together until I do the other work I have planned.

Re: manifold to cat pipe
Friday, May 10, 2013 11:46 AM
Take it to an exhaust shop and have them make you one. If everything is still good it shouldn't be more then $100.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, May 10, 2013 1:18 PM
Yeah, if there isn't one available, I'll have to pay someone.
Friday, May 10, 2013 5:31 PM
Wayne , I used a new cat and grafted on to the old Downpipe. Here is a photo of mine.....and a wonderful example of what NOT to do. I thought I was scoring big when I got a universal Cat for just $30. Turned out I spent just as much money on all the adapters and clamps in the end as biting the bullet and ordering a new Direct Fit Cat. I'll never do that again!!
My Downpipe broke off about 8" from the Cat on the front originally - and I bridged that with a small piece of tailpipe. About 6 months later it broke off right in front of the Cat.
My repairs here have been going good since 2010 with no problems. Intermediate pipe is starting to get in very rough shape, but that is typical for that piece. Lifetime mufflers are the best - last much longer. I've found the cheapo $19.99 mufflers will last about a year and rot out at the entrance/ exit pipe fittings.

Good luck with your repairs!!

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:14 PM
That pipe is available through Advance Autoparts.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:32 AM
Where Josh--I couldn't find it on the website.

I have the 1.8, non-turbo for 1985.

Orlen--I bought the direct fit for that reason. I already have the mid-pipe and muffler new from last year (I think, maybe two years ago). I just figure if one part of this downpipe rusted, there's more to come, so I'd rather just "git er done" while I'm already ripping apart so much and have the place to do it and help I might need right there.
Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:38 PM
Be prepared for some major PIA with those flange bolts at the Manifold.

Try spraying them each day for a few days before you tackle them with this stuff. Make you day go a lot easier!
Using a torch that close to the Oxygen Sensor might deep six it.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:43 PM
Or I could just remove the O2 sensor before lighting up...

Well I got my sleeve on this morning, it's fine for now, but since we're here:

I used a wire to hang my cat since there didn't seem to be anything doing that job, and the exhaust was flopping. Is/was there something maybe on the heat shield from above that kept the cat in place and the exhaust from flopping around? I'm thinking there would have been, but it decided it no longer wanted to ride with me, and maybe the flopping exhaust is what pulled the cat from the main pipe.

Just thought I'd ask before I go putting on my new cat.
Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:04 PM
Yup, might as well get a new O2 while you are in the neighborhood - Only runs between $14 - $20 at Autozone. I can remember when the price of those things used to send shivers down my back.

Use caution hanging the Cat. It gets very hot - reason for no hangers in that location. Only hang points are the Manifold, front of Gas Tank, usually 2 at the muffler/tailpipe.

Sounds like you are getting back in service if somewhat temporarily - Good News!!

Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:50 AM
It sucks that you live in a state that requires emissions on older vehicles. Mine is coming apart. I plan on deleting it soon.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:13 PM
Well I put a wire around my cat since I didn't like the flopping. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I felt it was.

I do have the new cat, it's just that the car I would be driving while the Hawk is off the road needs a RR brake adjuster. Once that is done this week, the Hawk is getting parked and I begin my adventure; so yeah, my fix was intended to be temp.

I also have a new O2 sensor already.

The emissions rules in PA are really dumb. Any OBD II car and newer gets hooked up to a machine for the emissions. Anything older gets a "visual" inspection. So yeah, the cars less likely to be spewing out pollutants only get the visual. Last year, my cat had a small leak at the top, but passed because on the visual inspection, no hole could be seen.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:35 PM
Here in missouri anything 95 and older is not required to have an emissions inspection. But as part of the safety inspection it is still required to have all emissions devices. Most inspectors here are pretty lienient on that rule though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search