voltage drop normal? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
voltage drop normal?
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:08 PM
I get a pretty mean voltage drop when I use things like my headlights, blinkers, windows, basically anything electric. it can get as low as 13v. This is even after I have replaced the alternator. I can hear it drop the idle at a light with my blinkers on in addition to bouncing the needle on the gauge. I dont think I have ever had a car really move from 14.25 or so other than when pulling big amps for a stereo system or something. That has to at least be affecting ignition performance. Is that normal?

Re: voltage drop normal?
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:17 PM
I've seen quite a few older cars do this. My car drops to about 12.7 with everything on, sitting at a stop light with the brakes on, blinker going, headlights on bright with the radio playing.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:41 PM
Probably ground you have covered John, but just in case....

How old is your Battery? Electrolyte levels? Might have a weak cell aggravating the situation.

Also replacing battery cables on these 1st gens does wonders!! (Clean the ground connections at the chassis/ engine too)

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:43 PM
Go back to the future and get a new flux capacitor j/k. Could also be a corroded alternator fuse. Most likely need to clean the chassis grounds that bolt to the tranny/ engine and to the car.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:12 PM
Holy crap, duh... I haven't redone the big 3 grounds yet! Man.. I'm losing it.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:18 PM
Here is a few photos of the way I did my battery bolt. Got rid of those tiny 8mm jobs and went with full size bolts and nuts. Run the bolt in tight and use the nut to tighten down the lugs. The length of the bolt serves as a great place to hook up jumper cables or battery chargers as needed. Can't remember the size - just took my tiny 8mm bolt to the hardware store and matched up the threads. Had to drill out the lugs to fit the large bolt.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:28 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=7571&t=7571 While this is not as complete as I would like it have been this is what I did to my cav.I upgraded my cables and replaced any ground wires and even replaced my white terminal to the alternator for a good connection and yes removing everything to do it correctly.I would suggest going new and use conduit(plastic loom) around your wiring to protect it and electrical tape if needed.My car has a auto zone duralast gold battery and not running 12.5-12-7 nothing on just checking.Running 13.5-14.5 depending on what is on with car running.Make sure all of the wiring and fuseable links are not frayed,melted,and well protected at the starter.Any loose or worn thin wiring reduces the voltage period.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:42 PM
If all your connections are ok I would have that alternator tested. It sounds as if you could also have a weak voltage regulator. I work for a parts store and its not something I like to admit but I have seen defective alternators right out of the box . Especially if its the one with a one year warranty.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search