Undercoat Reveal - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Undercoat Reveal Update
Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:57 AM
Sorry to do this again, but I found a much better "before" pic with which to compare:

Before:

After:

Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:03 AM
holy poop, that looks AMAZING.
What a difference
Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:51 AM
" Now I am fighting with exhaust manifold studs and deciding if I want to cote the whole exhaust manifold and turbo assembly. That will delay my assembly some, but should be well worth it. What do you guys think?"

I think you've done a splendid job this winter!! Best anyone of us has accomplished here on 1st Gen!

Time to fasten everything together - nice 'n tight - and enjoy the Spring time before it gets away from you. That perrrrrfect weather to drop the top and ride will get away from you before ya know it. Besides ...I think that exhaust project might be just the thing next winter to shake off the winter blues - when you need it most!

Spin up that turbo and enjoy your labors my friend!!

Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:13 AM
Thanks Guys.

I can't believe it took me so long to think to do this. I have been looking at this undercoated engine bay since 1990. I am so happy I finally decided to clean it up!

Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:42 PM
Just looked at the finished picture and WOW that red really pops. 1st place at the Show this summer! Nice work Paul!

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:33 PM
Nice finished result.SO glad sunny has zero undercoat mess since I already have done loads to the engine bay as it is.

Monday, May 06, 2013 4:34 PM
WOW that looks like a new car. The undercoat presevered it well!
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:00 AM
I have two more pieces going in for PC. I am going to wait on the turbo and exhaust work until next year so I can get it together soon.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:32 PM
Progress...

Water Jacket and Timing Belt back on...

Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:34 PM
Helps if you post the right picture...

Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:08 PM
Lawdy it is really lookin' nice !! You do an excellent job!!

Did you PC the T-Stat housing? I can't believe how clean it looks inside of it!! Many I've run into are rusting beyond function.

You'll have to treat us to a little video spinning up your turbo under here when you all done!!

Looks like another pampered J will enjoy the summer sunshine this year!! ( ...and you won't have to baby it like you did last year)

Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:16 PM
Orlen-

Yes, the T-Stat neck and the water jacket were both treated to PC. The front alternator bracket and map bracket are in now. I am turning into a PC junkie. I love the way it looks.

I am going to work on getting the ac gear together next. I will prolly hold off on the hotside turbo PC and bumper paint until next year...

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:04 AM
So that t-stat neck has two thingies sticking out the bottom; does the front or the back one (front being on the right of the pic, back being on the left of the pic) control the fan?

My fan doesn't go on by itself, and I disconnected the AC so I can turn the fan on with the heater control, but I'd rather it go on all by itself. I bought the part, then didn't know which one of those two to replace.

Which brings up the question--what is the other one for?
Monday, May 13, 2013 12:50 PM
Wayne-

I will check my manual when I get home. If I remember right, the plug on the DS of the head works the temp gauge on the dash. The two plugs on the T-Stat drive coolant temp to the ECM (back I think) and coolant temp to fan relay (front I think).

Tune in later for a confirmation.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:41 AM
Wayne-

I will check today. I actually worked on the car yesterday and got the timing belt tension set and the cover back on. Next comes fuel line and electrical hook up, as well as more cleaning. Gonna try and have it back together as much as possible before the PC is back from the shop. The problem is, I keep finding more stuff I want powder on.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:31 PM
Wayne-

Sorry this took so long...

On my pic above, the back one is the single black wire that controls the cooling fan. The front one is the CTS switch for the ECM. I did get some electrical hooked up tonight...

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:06 PM
Great timing--I parked the car last night at a friend's garage, and will begin all the fun work on Saturday.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search