WTB Convertible Top Boot - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WTB Convertible Top Boot
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:26 PM
I am looking to buy a Black or Grey Convertible top Boot for my 89z24. I am almost at the point of getting my top done but would like to have the boot to go with it.

Thanks
Debbie

Re: WTB Convertible Top Boot
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:32 PM
This should be in the 2nd gen forum not first gen. I have a brand new tan one. It was used once.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, May 10, 2013 12:34 PM
I know but the top boot will work
Friday, May 10, 2013 6:47 PM
not sure what you mean Debbie, but the top boot for a 1st gen and 2nd gen convertible is different. The shape of the quarter panels around the top is different, the first gen has straight lines and angles where as the 2nd gen is curved. The first gen is held on with many snaps, the 2nd gen is held on with a hidden formed rubber / plastic lip that goes under the metal trim. I have a 1st gen Sunbird drop top and 2, Z24 2nd gen convertibles.

FYI - If your window sweep rubber moldings are brittle and cracked, oem replacements are hard to come by, but new window sweep material can be bought in 8 foot lengths and attached to the door top moldings to replace them. Also a power seat can be easily added from a 90's Grand Am, Skylark as a near bolt in upgrade in case you did not know that either.

Love the color of your car

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:58 PM
My 91 sunbird snaps on with about 30 snaps.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:06 AM
good to know because a company i found sells universal ones.
Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:58 AM
i recently joined this group....lots of great information!! If you are looking for a top boot, check out this Craigslist Ad. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/3737916545.html I picked up a couple of 1st gen boots from Fran. Reasonable price and shipping costs. Boots were in Great condition. She only accepts Postal Money orders but all worked out well..
I need some more information about the door and quarter belt weatherstrips!

Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:21 PM
thank you
Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:32 AM
Alan the window sweep material can be purchased from Restoration Specialties of Windber PA. 814-467-9842 They have a downloadable catalog. It is part number YMR260X. It comes in 8ft lengths, but have them cut it into 3 lengths that you need to do your doors and 1 quarter window section because the smaller lengths are cheaper to ship. The material is $30 a section. I buy this material from them at swap meets to save on tax and shipping. There are a number of posts on the replacement procedures on the v6z24 forum which also shows pictures. The material cuts easily with a dremel tool and cut off wheels, but makes a mess. Its a long slow task, but turns out really nice if you take your time and can save your door bottoms because the water will not be running inside your doors. I think it took me about 3-4 hours to do one side and that is all I have completed at this time, but need to do it a bunch more times this summer since I have 3 convertibles it needs done to.

To make a glass removal tool to take off the big threaded washers, my dad just took an old cracked socket I had and cut off the sides of the socket about a 1/4" deep from the end, leaving 2 prongs that stick up, that are opposite one another. Those prongs then fit into the holes of the glass retaining washer. By taking the glass out this way, you will not have to disturb the window tracks and have the tedious task of realigning your windows later to keep out the window noise. This is also a great way to take a junk tool and breathe new life and important meaning back into it.

I think Ron Love may have a post about how to take off the door top moldings. Research him.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:57 PM
Hey Thanks for posting this ad! I've been looking for a replacement for mine, as it's not in the greatest shape.
Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:14 PM
What I did with my doors when I had the door panels off is spray the crap out of the lower parts with rustoleum.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:59 PM
thank you I was able to get in contact with the woman selling convertible boots on craigslist!
Friday, May 17, 2013 7:11 AM
Happy to help. Hope Fran has one that will work for you.

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:51 AM
Thanks for your posts everyone, I am currently waiting on a vert boot top to arrive in the mail!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search