Sounds Like a Short - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sounds Like a Short
Monday, May 27, 2013 6:07 PM
Took the blue vert out for a spin tonight. The strut bar makes a big difference. When I got it home with the headlights on and the car running I pushed both front windows to go up like I always do and BAM lights out engine off. Started right back up and pushed back window switches one a time a no problem then both fronts one at a time no problem. All windows up and down no problem. ??????? Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Re: Sounds Like a Short
Monday, May 27, 2013 9:27 PM
Idk could be just age of electrical and or not being used for long periods.I guess if it pops up again you can check the obvious and or loose connections.Def tired so not thinking on all cyldrs.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:15 AM
Could this be a sign of a failing alternator?
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:21 PM
Alternators failing create several issues.Say like recently my nephews 02 civic had the dome lights and tail/headlights flickering,So I backed car back in the garage.Checked with meter and over charging was going on at 15.1 volts.The next day replaced battery (had new one already) plus new pos/neg cables all brand new(then kicked up to 15.5) I replaced alternator and DID leave it unhooked bc it will fry the battery.Another condition can be undercharging which can make the car hard to crank,run then cut off or yeah even lights flickering or irratic behavior from any electrical components on the car.I could list more but these are the normal malfunctions that kick up.A must is to have the battery unhooked charge for 24hrs for a full charge to get accurate readings to determine if it is a poorly charging system or over charge scenario for the best results.Also the internals on a voltage regulator can be finicky and flucuate from long storage and or not running.Just my take on this.I leave my batt unhooked while in the garage until I need it to be in use,to reduce any drain batt/alter in long storage time.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:54 AM
Guess I'll toss my 2 cents worth in the hat today...LoL.

Curious such a heavy current draw to kill the engine that this doesn't blow a fuse ,fry a fuseable link ....or at the very least create that telltale smell of hot wires. Without those symptoms my suspicions hover around the grounds.Had remembered you had replaced your engine in this car not too long ago. Might be worth your while to root under the hood for half an hour or so and check the grounds in there. Maybe one got a wee bit loose on you recently. If you have a gremlin in lurking in the window or light circuits, you might hook up a voltmeter where you can get watch and try both windows and lights on / engine running again. If you have a bad switch maybe you can work it down to the troublesome component.
I'm betting you do a thorough inspection after your 'Verts long winter nap. Sometimes those little vermin decide to make homes just about anywhere and make a nest out of just about everything.

Sometimes I actually think these old J's are worse than children. Sounds like your Blue 'Vert is wanting some attention from you at any rate.....

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:12 AM
Wow.

I am thinking ground as well. I had it happen where car just died, then would restart fine... It was a ground.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 8:53 AM
It's probably your new strut bar installation. ah ah ah.
You should sell it to me. I am looking for one.
Alain
Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:59 PM
Alain it could be! That strut bar install was a tight fit especially on the windshield washer bottle. But on a more serious note I checked all grounds and everything looks good. Put maybe 100 miles on it this weekend and it ran great.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search