Just a few questions - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just a few questions
Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:29 AM
Hello everyone been busy for awhile but just lost my parking space for the Hawk so I have to move it. Still having some fuel issues. The car turns over but won't start. It will start and run for a few seconds if some gas is poured into the throttle body. A new fuel pump and filter was put on last year. Any suggestions?

Also found a nice set of doors off a 94 Sunbird coupe at the junkyard. I've never taken off doors before so I'm not really sure how I can get these off. Any advice would help. Thanks!

Here's a quick picture. Looking pretty rough right now

Re: Just a few questions
Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:28 AM
I think you have ECM issue. It sounds like the driver for the injector may have burned up in the ECM. If you can hear the fuel pump run and you can visually see no flow from the injector while cranking it you've found your issue. As far as doors go you can't bolt those directly to your car. Second gen doors have a slightly more rounded roof so the window area is different. If you do come across a good set of 1st gen doors just knock out the hinge pins with a punch and hammer.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:37 AM
I’ve heard the 2nd gen doors go on a 1st gen, but I think the skins are different.

Step one is to take WD-40 and spray the pin on your top hinges. Let that sit while you do the rest.

Inside the kick panel, you will find a 15mm bolt for the lower hinge. On the outside is an 11mm bolt. For that 11mm, just use a small socket to break it loose, but after that, you will have no room for the socket and will need to switch to a box/open wrench. It takes time and patience, but you will get that darn bolt off. The last time I did this, I got into a really good rhythm with the wrench and it didn’t take too long.

As for the top hinge, get a pin-popper tool. I got one off Amazon.com for about $25. The pin comes out and the door slides away from the car, taking the lower hinge with it, keeping the spring intact. The upper hinge stays with the car and you can use it to line up your new door.

When popping the pin, it’s helpful if someone holds up the back end of the door to keep it level, otherwise the door sort of pinches the pin and makes it hard to remove.

It takes me about 20-30 minutes to remove a door this way.
Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:38 AM
Josh beat me to it, I guess the 2nd gen doors are a no-go.
Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:30 AM
Holden K-

You may think it looks rough, but it looks really cool to the rest of us We don't see many hatches, and even fewer with the concealed lights.

What engine do you have in this car again? It doesn't appear to be a turbo (no hood bulge) so some of what I use on my car may not apply.

You have a scrader valve on the fuel line? If you are hearing the FP running that is good. I would be interested to see what the line pressure is. If that is good, you are probably starting to point to an injector or ECM issue as Josh indicates above.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:04 AM
@Paul

I think it's a pretty cool little car. It's just that those pictures don't really show anything. There's nothing left of the bottom of the doors and the rear quarters are pretty rusted.

The engine is the 2.0L non turbo

That's weird I always thought that the second gen doors were a direct fit on to this car. Guess I'll be on the search now
Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:11 PM
If you lived close to me I could snatch you up a pair of doors from an 87 hawk that's sitting in my local bone yard.

Friday, June 07, 2013 7:17 AM
Josh--wouldn't that window part you need be on that Hawk?
Friday, June 07, 2013 11:42 AM
mmmm a skyhawk... looking for a hood shock off one of them... for my j2000 or cimarron...
Friday, June 07, 2013 5:06 PM
Holden K
Hatchbacks with pop up headlights like yours are so rare that they are practically unique nowadays. keep it, fix it up & enjoy it till the wheels fall of, then put them back on and enjoy it some more. Don't let the mechanical or rust issues pull you down. Time money and patience will overcome them. Try not to expect it to be perfect & you'll have something to be proud of. Keep tinkering my friend!!

Friday, June 07, 2013 7:02 PM
@ Wayne.
I already checked that one. They are worse than mine. It's a shame because that car looks too nice to be there. It even runs still.

Friday, June 07, 2013 7:56 PM
Aaron--

Those hood shocks can be found at many parts stores. I saw many of different lengths at one store; many cars use those for not just the hood, but for trunk lids. I would also ask a dealer if it is still available.

Because of the spoiler I put on my trunk, I'm trying to figure out how to mount shocks to it so the lid stays up.
Saturday, June 08, 2013 1:33 PM
Wayne-

I adjusted the spring on mine as I added the spoiler also. There is a thread on here about it somewhere...

Saturday, June 08, 2013 2:23 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna try what you did one of these days, Paul, but since I didn't put on THE spoiler, and I put on A spoiler, I may have to go the shock route.

Mine came from a Fiero, so it weighs more than the J spoiler.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search