Speakers - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speakers
Wednesday, June 05, 2013 1:23 PM
Going to update the old, stock, sound system. Replaced the front dash speakers with little trouble. Deck was replaced years ago, but replacing with new one. Installed amp and subwoofer. But if any convt owners have replaced their rear speakers... Is there a easy way or does most of the rear interior need to come out.

Re: Speakers
Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:02 PM
On my convertible...

Rear seat bottom(two bolts), side door sills(phillips screwdriver), rear side panels (phillips screwdriver). Should be a bout 10 minutes to get to the speakers

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 6:53 PM
Going to be doing my vert speakers also. What size are they? Especially the rears. Any recommendations on brand and type? Going middle of the road on price. Haven't bought new car speakers in years.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:10 PM
Granted I have a coupe went JL's front for the 3.5 inch factory size rears 6x9 boston acoustic and great brands imo and great sound.Use a panasonic head which pwrs it fine.I know my rears want be like the verts in size(right) on recall.I'd have to dig out the cost but fronts were under 50 and rears under a 100 until I really check.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:44 AM
I know the coupe dash had two options based upon the type of radio installed. Every radio except the one with the graphic equilizer had 3.5" while the other had 4x6" that matches the perforated shape of the speaker grill. So, here's the question. On my car the dash pad is "molded" to accept the 3.5". Does anyone know if dash pad material be trimmed away to reveal the 4x6" opening that should be underneath? I can't imagine GM would have created two distinct dash infrastructures that could have been installed based upon radio/speaker selection. My guess is the larger cavity with mounting access is beneath the dash pad but I don't want to cut away unless my theory is correct. Any thoughts?

Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:21 AM
I replaced mine with some sony 3.5 quite a while ago and crossed them over so only the highs go there. I have a high, mid, low crossover thing going from back to front. I have had it apart and it looked like there was room if you trimmed away the extra. I just wasn't up for it at the time.

If I remember right, the backs were 4x6 stock. I installed a pair of 5x7 rockford phosgates that had a plastic adapter to let them fit properly. It has been a while since I have been in there but that is how I remember it.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:19 PM
Steve the factory 4x6 speaker is designed a little different from aftermarket replacements. I had a set of those speakers and the 4x6 replacements wouldn't line up with any of the mounts correctly. If you can still find them through crutchfield or a stereo shop there is an adapter that converts that hole to take a 4" speaker.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:16 PM
Thanks Josh!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search