Spark Plug Heat Shields - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spark Plug Heat Shields
Monday, June 10, 2013 7:29 AM
I was wondering how many of you are using the stock plug wire metal heat shields on your OHC engines. My heat shields "disappeared" several years ago with the rebuild. As I reassemble I am making sure everything I need is there. I am thinking I need to put them back on.

GM has had several different designs on these over the years. I am thinking of going back to stock if I can get a set that looks ok. I found a fiero set on eBay that looks fair for about $8. Anyone have a better source?

Re: Spark Plug Heat Shields
Monday, June 10, 2013 8:13 AM
I just bought them. For $8 I will not do any better. I actually got 6 and only need 4 (maybe 3) so lmk if you need a couple to replace anything broken/missing ones you have

Monday, June 10, 2013 3:55 PM
i tried running without them as i only had 2 and melted 2 wires/boots in a few days got new wires and put back on center 2 cylinders and alls good now

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:55 PM
That is what happened to me. I removed the plug wires when I was taking the head off and one fell apart in my hand.

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:04 PM
I have no issues there.My wires are up high on the mounts (oem ones plastic) and my exhaust does have the shield wrapped around it.The only down fall on the 2.0 ohv is the exhaust is super close to my starter but,fixed that by making a copper bar post to move it further away and loom/conduit which ever you can call it on the wiring.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:27 AM
+1 for the OHV is this department...

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:48 AM
I don't even remember the heat shields on the 2.0 I had.
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:16 PM
Is there a shield over cylinder #4? You made me curious ...so just had to take a look & see.
Both engines I have , have shields over 1 - 3.

The new permanet magnet replacement starters out now are very much smaller. The one I have on my 86 Wagon with the OHV is so small the bracket that is supposed to attach to the rear of the starter is about 2" away from the starter now. There is much better clearance between the permanet magnet type and the manifold so there is less heat related issues., and I have had zero issues with it despite my initial doubts when I recieved it.

Another minus for the OHV is the location of the Alternator.......Right over the Exhaust manifold at #1 cylinder, where it can suck up as much hot air as it can get . The OHC is located smartly over the intake side.

Each design has it's posatives and negatives. It is cool to have one of each to see the differences!!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:46 PM
Orlen-

I bought a v6 set so I have two sets now if anyone needs the 3 main ones. One on #4 is not required as there is a lot of open air around it

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:48 PM
For the record, I just said +1 to the OHV on that feature

I like my OHC

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search