Floored my Friend this Week - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Floored my Friend this Week
Saturday, June 08, 2013 7:05 AM
My first summer job for the next 8 weeks of vacation has found me replacing the floors in my friends 88 Z24 convertible, starting the first day school was out. I have worked since last Friday working to replace the floors and have to finish the job by tonight before I go out of town diamond mining

A survey of the work ahead of me

Cancer cut out and metal installed in front driver and pass side, and rear pass side too

Edges sealed with fiberglass, under side edges calked and top side with a new coat of paint

This much metal was cut out to breath new life into the topless cruiser.

Re: Floored my Friend this Week
Saturday, June 08, 2013 7:57 AM
I had to do the drivers side on my Z last summer. I made the mistake of wearing a t-shirt and shorts while I welded. That stuff sunburnt me bad. Great job the finished product looks professional.

Saturday, June 08, 2013 1:31 PM
Wow - Nice Work!

Saturday, June 08, 2013 2:05 PM
Holy hell. That's one of the worst I have ever seen. Good job tho. Bet ur buddy is thankful!
If that much tho has rotted from the floor. I'd be worried of numerous other areas
Saturday, June 08, 2013 6:30 PM
I finished the job about 7PM. I charged $500 total for the job. $160 was for new carpet, I had another $60 in materials and 25 -30 in labor...so I know he made out on the labor charge. lol

Saturday, June 08, 2013 9:46 PM
How do you guys have so much rust? I have never seen a jbody in PA with that much rust that has been drive. Not counting any that sat in a field for 20 years. Ones that have been driven at least a few times a year. Even my 91 sunbird sat in a yard for 8 years and had only rust on the brake lines and rear trailing arm. Other then that it wasn't that bad.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, June 08, 2013 10:56 PM
Great work.Make's me super glad my car has only been a NC car and original was sold one town over from me and then my sister got it when it was 5yrs old.Floor pan looks SO MUCH better.Kudos to you for your time/effort.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 6:27 AM
Superb Work there Bill!! Broke my heart to see the Pontiac cut up , but it is for a really good cause. Another J is saved!!

I'm in the same boat with Ron.......floors are one of my best parts of my J's thank goodness. I know , though if I ever should be in need who to come look for - Bill is tha Man!!

If you have as much luck diamond mining as you have had scoring your 'Bird - You'll need a new accountant for sure!!

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:59 AM
Ron, my car was originally a NC car. I brought it north to Michigan when it was given to me by my father in law. Are you close to Goldsboro? My car was purchased as a company car in June of '84 from a dealership there. I still have the original sticker and the name of the company that bought it. It was actually sold by the owner of the dealership, not a salesperson. It's had a number of owners over the years, and I have many of the State inspection stickers It has been in Michigan now for 7 years.

Bill, NICE WORK! You did a great job of repairing the floor. I've seen a lot of cars in Michigan with rusted out floor boards, but not a J Body. I surmise that Pennsylvania uses a lot of road salt during the winter months. Michigan sure does, and it shows! Here in the winter, on a clear sunny day, the car washes do a brisk business as a lot of people will spend some of their hard earned cash to wash the salt off of their cars and especially the under body.
Monday, June 10, 2013 7:33 AM
Bill-

Maybe you should relocate to MI for a few months out of the year and open a single service floorboard repair outfit

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search