moved - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
moved
Monday, June 10, 2013 4:00 PM
well i no longer live in oregon, we have relocated to north dakota any tips on keeping the bird rust free ?

Re: moved
Monday, June 10, 2013 4:25 PM
John, I'm from Minnesota and my best advice is this; store your car over the winter! The salt and chemicals they spread will destroy your car. Get yourself a "winter beater" and keep your car safely tucked away like I do from November 1- March 31.

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:11 PM
Same here in New England with the salt and chemicals. Been stored every winter since 86. Wife used to drive a 2dr chocolate brown 77 Nova with plaid seats as a winter car, so every March was like getting a new car.

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:54 PM
There are enough stories on Michigan cars. Somehting about Detroit sitting on a salt mine.

Monday, June 10, 2013 7:11 PM
Congratulations`on your safe trip and relocation!! If you can do as our other Northern friends suggest - you can have a wonderful J to drive up in North Dakota. Might be seen as a somewhat oddity in that "neck of the woods" , since I'm betting most of them that were in that area have long ago perished!! Soon you'll pick up some acquaintances that can probably steer you in the right direction regarding local storage options.
If I remember correctly I think you have some 2 wheeled transportation that will need to come inside as well.

I got a good chuckle at the Chocolate Brown Nova........I bet that particular color blended in rather nicely with the rust....at least while there was metal there to rust....LoL

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:00 PM
Hope you like your move area.I would store the car inside if possible,and or buy a waterproof cover(like on ebay) for low cost if it sits outside under a shelter at least.Also if outside make sure it is not sitting on the ground(moisture) put some gravel on even plywood to keep the moisture down.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:38 AM
John,

When my brother was stationed in Grand Forks during his Air Force days, he purchased a book that the title sums up the weather in North Dakota. The book's title was "July, August and Winter".

At the time he was there, they had a few bad snowstorms, and there was one that he told about. He owned a VW bug at that time, and after the storm, he went out and after unburying the Bug, he opened the engine bay in the back,and it literally was full of snow! He said all he did to remove the snow was to start it up and let it melt...LOL.

If you've not ever been in the North during winter, be sure to take advantage of every bright sunny day to get the salt washed off your car. The quarter panels will literally be white, and every bit of filth from the road will find itself to the sides of your car...YUCK!
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:28 PM
i was born and raised in i falls minn, so the weathers not bad but i moved to a good job and we own a house on the lake ( devils lake ) the fishing is unreal and alot slower pace than in oregon

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:25 PM
Don't become a stranger now that you getting settled in .....and good job and all.

Remember to set down your pole from time to time and drop a post on hear. Heck , maybe even a photo or 2 from time to time!

From what I read the Government is watching and listening to everything - might as well keep them interested!!

Enjoy that slower pace & don't eat too much fish!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search