first generation alternative - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
first generation alternative
Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:54 PM
i "ve been looking for a new daily driver. it had to be good on gas. a wagon or hatchback so i could keep our dog in the back without getting hair all over the seats and frontwheel drive. the winters are brutal here and i just can"t take another in my 2wd s-10. a cavalier wagon was what i was looking for but there just wasnt any. i came across this 1988 plymouth sundance. i never owned a chrysler product and never really considered one but this thing fit the bill. i have had for about 2 months now and iam really impressed. it has a 2.5 4cyl tbi and gets 27-29mpg. it looks like a coupe but it has a hatchback. its quiet, handles well and has pretty good pep too. i like so much i"m going to try to find another for my wife. the 4dr models are hatchbacks too. take a look guys you might like them as much as me.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q746/johngalt81/sundance1050-Copy_zps33901bea.jpg[/img

i paid 1250 for it, and stuck another 250-300 into it with anew radiator,hoses,thermostat a dist cap and rotor,new plugs,fuel filter pcv vlalve some new vac lines new headlights and wipers i think i can get 2-3 years out of her

Re: first generation alternative
Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:02 PM
forgot to give you a shot of the hatch

Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:13 PM
I think I would've just waited to find what I wanted, and maybe settled for a 2nd gen.

Hope you like the Shadow, I for whatever reason never liked driving them; but the Duster model might be an interesting find.
Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:21 PM
Should of got a dodge sprint v6, they are nasty cars lol. Good luck on your adventure.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:43 PM
Only negative that comes to mind would be sourcing parts. At the time J-Bodies were very popular - and now they are getting so hard to find donors and spares. I worry that the '80's MoPars will be even more difficult. I am sure they have a following, though just like ours, and you ought to be able to find someone that knows a thing or 2 and can help you find something special when you need it.

BTW -I LOVE the location of that Oil Filter!! Easy oil Changes for You!!

Saturday, June 15, 2013 11:48 PM
Funny thing is the whole engine bay including the strut towers look exactly like a 2.2 jbody.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:02 AM
I am a touch disappointed it does not have that fine corithian leather(humor).As long as it suits the need and low cost go for it.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 6:45 AM
Clean car man
Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:03 AM
Cool. The shadow/sundance was pretty popular up here at one point. I always wanted a Omni GLH or Shelby Charger myself. Those Spirit R/T models with the Turbo III are pretty wicked though.

My MOPAR has 213k on it. Main compaint is quality of materials.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:35 AM
thanks paul, its just a solid little car that fits my needs perfectly. all the work ive done on it went smoothly. everything is easy to get at and remove or replace. the radiator is held in place by two clips on the top and took me a whole five minutes to remove! there not head turners like our j-bodys but this is strictly transportation. it reminds me of my first car a 65 rambler, nothing fancy just good and reliable
Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:20 PM
Had rental 4 cyl Plymouth Acclaim back in the 90's. Put about 2,000 miles on it it in two weeks and was impressed with it. Probably would have bought one if I was looking for a new car at the time. Looks like a nice clean car.

Monday, June 17, 2013 5:22 AM
The 2.5L will last forever as long as you keep the oil changed and the engine cool and not let the radiator go to crap like my dad did to his '86 600 . Those little engines had some nice power when you planted your right foot. That's a real clean one for being up in Wisconsin .

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search