1984 Cavalier Sedan Parts - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1984 Cavalier Sedan Parts
Friday, May 03, 2013 7:41 PM
Going up to Nashua NH tomorrow to strip the parts I want to save off this car. I'm keeping the dash, complete nose, rear bumper, tail lights and trunk lid. Let me know if you need anything, It has to go to scrap yard by Tuesday, getting a replacement parts car Wednesday. Already have pulled the motor and trans.

Re: 1984 Cavalier Sedan Parts
Friday, May 03, 2013 8:03 PM
Oh No....not another to the cutter

Just a suggestion John. Pick up one of those cheapo box cutters at the Dollar Tree - the ones with the long blades you break off a piece at a time. Take one of those blades off and scrape off the emblems - works darn well!!

Friday, May 03, 2013 8:25 PM
On 2nd glance you might want to just save the dollar and pull the fenders - they look to be in awfully good shape to crush!

Windshield wiper motor might be a good save. Hood latch cable is great to have as a spare, Speedo cable. Heater blower motor. Calipers make good cores for instant trade in. Those hubs on the back can be lag bolted on to any nice piece of wood for sudo cart or wagon. Computer? Spare Rack is good piece of mind.

Just some ideas you might wished you'd grabbed after it is gone. Shame I don't live closer - love to have those doors as spares for my old wagon.

Hey, what is the new donor??

Friday, May 03, 2013 8:44 PM
Orlen that is top secret.And john is working on that replacement donor.

Friday, May 03, 2013 9:47 PM
Oh Ok Ron. Thanks for the heads up!!

Sorry I asked John!! ... Didn't mean to pry under covers.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 4:35 AM
Pulling most of that stuff Orlen. Keeping all the fenders, hood, trunk lid, bumpers,seat belts and seats and complete dash.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:52 AM
wow - that metal is in great shape. It is a shame, but we can't save everything...

Saturday, May 04, 2013 2:42 PM
Got most every thing off today. Took me about 5 hours and of that 2 were spent on removing the rear bumper. I keep it stored about 15 miles from my house so as usual I forgot something ( PB Blaster) so the six bolts on the rear bumper were tough. The body has really taken a beating sitting outside on the bare ground and rust is really starting to eat this car up. The paint is also getting spider cracks and is starting to peel.

One thing left to get is the headlight switch and bezel.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THE headlight KNOB OFF?

Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:29 PM
John, there is a small metal tab on the back side of the knob. You might have to turn the knob around to feel it. Use a small screw driver or a pick and press the tab towards you and also pull the knob towards you - off it comes!!

Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:37 PM
Thanks Orlen,
Didn't have a flashlight with me and tried several small allen wrenches in that hole. So I will push that very small metal tab away from the dash board and towards me as I sit in the drivers seat?

Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:39 PM
Exactly John!! I destroyed my first one out of frustration only to feel so foolish after seeing how it was done. That little tab acts as a kinda spring tensioner to keep the knob on, but just slides on when they installed it at the factory.

Sunday, May 05, 2013 3:52 AM
Exactly what I didn't want to do. I had that frustration and destroy at any cost just get the knob off feeling so I just stopped.

Thanks Orlen!

Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:11 AM
I see Chevrolet mud flaps!! Can you save them for me? And some of the better lug nuts too, Please

Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:15 AM
No problem, Factory lugs are in ok shape!

Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:17 AM
No problem, Factory lugs are in ok shape!

Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:31 PM
Got the replacement parts car home on Friday. It is an 85 Type 10 with minimal options. Picked it up in CT. on Friday and dropped it off at the place where I store it in NH. Have not had any time to really check it out. Was told it has 50k on it and had one owner, an elderly lady. Really clean inside but VERY rusty under and the doors are shot. Nice running 2.0 Auto with leaky PS and brake lines. Mint trunk liner with never used donut spare and jack.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:54 PM
Congrats!

You got a good nose for smellin' them out! 2 Nice Verts. 84 Sedan, Cimarron, and 85 Type 10. Very sweet roll to be on my friend!!

It is so nice to see the donors go to J Enthusiast instead of the salvage yards. The yards will crush up many with lots of usable parts left to be used. J - Owners will go much deeper - plenty of time and not having to deal with business hours helps too! Now if only we all could manage somehow to chip in and afford a nice space to store all the cool scores!!

Gotta say I treasure the parts I was able to get off the old '84 you had John! Consider myself Lucky indeed!! Thank You!!

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:51 PM
The sedans last ride! It's gone.............

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:16 PM
the turn signal stalk u just pull really FU*CKING HARD and it comes out
Friday, May 17, 2013 6:31 PM
Corey Dorman wrote:the turn signal stalk u just pull really FU*CKING HARD and it comes out

I am fully aware of how they come off. Didn't need that style with no delay or cruise and they are REALLY cheap on ebay. Could have emphasised how cheap they are on ebay, but I didn't want to lower myself that far.

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:43 PM
See you have been busy and sure hate to know where that will end up.Flat,even squared and then melted.

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:59 PM
I wish I could find a Z24 donor like you find base models. With your luck you should buy a powerball ticket.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:14 AM
Bye bye lil' Blue Sedan!!

I agree with you Josh! John's tha Man!!

Corey , took a good look here and didn't see anyone needing information regarding the turn signal stalk? I do know that unless you have just the basic stalk you'll basically need to remove the steering column. That stalk with the extra goodies - the cruise and wiper delay controls have all those wires that run through the hollow stalk , down inside the column and will have to be extracted, and the new ones re-routed. I guess you can do it with the column in the car, but it isn't too hard to remove and worth the extra effort to make life a little easier. After all , break one of those little wires and you gotta go and get another one.

By the way , John. How did the "Headlight Switch & Knob" turn out?? LoL

Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:52 PM
I'm currently restoring a 1984 cavalier convertible and needing parts.. I need a top, dash,instrument cluster with tach and some other small stuff. I live in Elko Ga and if someone has a good donor car that would be great if your within 150miles. My email is no1tlyer@hotmail.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search