Road Trip - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Road Trip
Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:53 PM
With Sunday being Fathers Day, Going to visit my parents on Sunday. Weather is going to be SUNNY with temps in 20s. Wife said,"Lets take the convertible", so i changed the oil, checked tires, changed plugs and wires. It is a 300 kilometer round trip, also put a good pair of shoes in trunk, LOL.

Re: Road Trip
Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:14 PM
Glad you mentioned the kilometers or I would've thought it was a typo with temps in the 20s--that would be 70s for us Yanks.
Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:28 PM
Lets get the cavy on the road.
This car is born to roll.
I put around 3,000 kilometers each summer to mine.
Very reliable.
Alain
Monday, June 17, 2013 4:21 PM
Had a good trip. Did not need to rise the top. But now have a power steering leak some place around the right front wheel. Cleaned engine area with degreaser and going to chesck for leak, hard to locate when everything covered in power steering fluid. Any thoughts on where to look?
Monday, June 17, 2013 5:14 PM
Just because that's where it comes out, doesn't mean it's anywhere near that. Liquid is funny that way.

But the first thing I'd be looking at is hoses from the reservoir to the pump, then any other hoses.
Monday, June 17, 2013 7:03 PM
I'd lay my bet on the pinion input seal failure.

It'll actually leak in the drivers compartment and run out through a small galley below the pinion housing. Impossible to see, you'll just see fluid below the power brake booster. Very Common. Rack replacement is really the only cure, since the seal comes with a kit that will cost you about as much as a rebuilt Rack. Power Racks are reasonable . The Manual Racks are ridiculously priced. You can get lucky and source a used on at a yard, but sometimes you'll spend a couple of hours to just have another bad Rack, as another common flaw is internal seal failures. These cause lack of power assist even when fluid is at normal level. You have to actually use it to find out if the internals are still OK.

I have replace both of the Racks in my J's, ( One had the Input Seal Go, and the other had the internals go.) ,with used units and didn't have any problems, so don't think every one of them is necessarily bad.

Here is a thread I did on the Rack awhile back to get you some info. If you enjoy turning wrenches, it isn't really so bad.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=16277&t=16277

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:10 PM
Was thinking the same thing, but mine leaks from the drivers side. Lucas P.S. sealer REALLY slows it down.

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:15 PM
Here is a thread on steering Column removal , too ,if you need some info.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=12835&t=12825#12835

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search