Factpry Sunroof? in my GT parts car - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factpry Sunroof? in my GT parts car
Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:30 PM
My 87 Sunbird GT coupe parts car arrived today while I was at the Jalopy Showdown rat rod show. I noticed it has a sunroof and wondered if it was a factory option or probably installed later in its life. Could you get a factory installed sunroof and if so, is it a desirable option I should remove for resale purposes?

The car has the fender flares I really wanted, the GT hood and rear spoiler as a bonus. I also scored a center console arm rest, more aluminum wheels, a remote trunk release and light, as well as power windows and power door locks too, beyond the GT fog lights and hide away head lights and good front clip. I imagine it has the WS6 suspension package and supposed to have a good exhaust system from the cat. back. I am happy with the purchase for the delivered price of $230.

Re: Factpry Sunroof? in my GT parts car
Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:39 PM
Nice options on the car.Now I have a factory sunroof plus a sunroof GM bag it can be placed in because it is removable.ALot of cavaliers had this option like the type 10 and Z24 models for sure.I am almost certain the sunbirds def should have this option as well.The factory glass is tinted and has a chrome handle and can't recall on any specific markings with out checking mine own really.Still for the cost of that car and all those features that is crazy good!!

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:54 AM
Removable Glass Sunroof was listed as an option for 1987.

Option Code # is AD3

No price breakout is listed

My source is "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1976 - 1999" by James M. Flammang & Ron Kowalke

Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:03 AM
Got any pics of this score?

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:33 PM
Yes, Pictures

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:43 AM
So u were at the jalopy show and couldn't even tell me. Geez. Latimore is about 20 minutes from me
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:03 PM
Yeah, or me!

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:21 PM
For those interested in my Pa travels, I want to give you ample notice at this time, that I will be at the York Street Rod Nationals East next weekend. Hope to see you there....LOL!

I hope to get some picts taken this weekend of the GT when the rain stops. after I get my new radiator in my 89 Z24. I hope it resolves the fluctuating cooling issue I am experiencing.

Monday, May 27, 2013 6:42 PM
Notice the funky rubber air dam in hanging in the back. It wraps around the car by hanging off the bumper and quarter panel. The car also had abs plastic side skirting instead of the factory rocker trim. I am not sure if I want to add the rubber air skirting to my convertible or not. What do you think?

These picts make the car look much better than it is. But though the body is perforated in many areas, the front end is good, the rear deck lid is sweet and the car is load with options and GT items that

This parts car yielded a little over $10 in change. I like getting some of my money back even if it is a nickel and dime at a time...LOL
I also found the build sheet tucked in the springs of the rear seat back. Neat bit of trivia

Monday, May 27, 2013 7:22 PM
Wonderful Score Bill!!!

So sad that such a special edition to wind up in this state. At least we all can be mighty happy it has not ended up in China!!

Cheers !!
To many, many happy parts and never ending Fun Factor!!

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:20 PM
Cool color combo.I would do a full blown restoration on it if I got it.Nice car regardless

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:21 AM
I wonder if that rear air dam and side skirting was a response to the z-24.

They couldn't use the same rear bumper because the Z-24 has the license plate up between the tail lights.

I don't happen to see that side skirting you mention.

Is that rear air dam fully connected to the car, from the pic it looks like it is only mounted on the right side and hanging off the left.

If you don't want it, I might be interested in buying it from you since the SkyHawk rear bumper is the same design. I was figureing on putting a z-24 rear bumper on my car, but then I would have to do some mod to mount the license plate; but if that rear air dam has almost the same dimensions when adding it to the bumper, it would make an easier job of it.
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:54 AM
Ron Love wrote:Cool color combo.I would do a full blown restoration on it if I got it.Nice car regardless

x2
Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:07 PM
Hey Bill great score.
I love my Sunbird
If you are willing to part with any pieces off the old girl I am looking for the rear bumper black fascia pieces
Thanks
Tom
Saturday, June 08, 2013 6:41 AM

Started to recycle parts of the GT starting by removing a sweet floor pan. It is being installed into a friends 88 Z24 convertible.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:12 AM
How does the hood insulator look?

I am almost afraid to ask but I need a template. Manual trans or auto? I need a manual shift plate. I like the color scheme...

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:48 PM
Hood insulation pad is non existent on the GT, and the trans was an automatic. The car came less engine and trans.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:55 PM
What is this pad and shift plate you speak of?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:45 AM
This is the Hood Insulator Paul is searching for. I'm thinking he has all but givin up trying to find a Pristine one and is considering fabbing up one himself for now.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:08 AM
This is as close to the photos I can scrounge up of the shift plate he is looking for. Paul has the optional center console but it came off an auto, and he needs that plate that surrounds the Manual Shifter.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:15 AM
There's a center console out there, you mean with a box?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:45 AM
Oh, I thought he was looking for more generic parts not specific to that model.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:23 AM
Thanks for responding on my behalf Orlen. I guess I missed this one. Still on the lookout for the insulator and shift plate

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search