GT Before & After Picts - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GT Before & After Picts
Friday, June 21, 2013 11:23 AM
I scored this is 87 Sunbird GT turbo coupe less engine and trans for $200 + $30 for delivery. I wanted the GT fender flares, rear spoiler, turbo hood, fog lights, remote trunk release, center console arm rest, GT muffler and extra wheels. I also wound up using a few other odds and ends, and am glad I have a spare front end for future use if life throws me an unexpected curve. I am putting the parts on my 87 Sunbird SE convertible project car, which I only paid $250 for that is super solid car.

I took off everything of value... the big parts, little parts, wiring harnesses so when I need to fix a wiring section, I can cut out the right color and gauge from my spare harness and I even took off virtually every bolt and nut so I have a stash of metric hardware. The car gave up over $10 in change I found in various places, as well as about 5 gallons of very old stale gas. I put the gas in my 1946 Ford tractor I use to mow the grass with.
I think I got my monies worth on this deal and have yet to take the carcass to the recyclers and reap that return. Gotta love dirt track and drag racers that are after the drive train parts and think the rest is junk and has little to no value, which is how I came to acquire this gem!

I have a few left over turbo parts available like the turbo script horn button, the turbo gauge cluster, the turbo air cleaner assembly and may part with the rear spoiler since I bought one off ebay before I bought this parts car. Now I have to make space in the top of my old one horse barn to store the parts in and it has to be done before Sunday's family picnic my girlfriend is hosting here at my place.

The next task is to clean the garage up and work to complete the SE drop top project by Sept. I hope everyone else is making progress on their car "to do" lists, as well as finding "super scores" like this one.

Re: GT Before & After Picts
Friday, June 21, 2013 6:17 PM
Wow Bill, you sure picked it clean. This was my last parts car 84 Cav sedan that I got back in 2009 for $300 with a real 53K miles on it. That sweet motor is now in my blue 84 vert. I saved allot of parts off it that went to various members here and the rest of it is now in storage.

2013 Gone to shredder

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:57 PM
I would of turned them into demolition derby cars or drag cars/ track beaters and just beat the rap out of them. Then scrap them. Yards don't car about condition just weight.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, June 21, 2013 7:42 PM
Can't really beat the snot out of them with no motor. Plus I wanted to save as many 1st gen parts as possible because they are getting really hard to find here in the Boston area.
I did just retire my company car, this 98 Saturn SL2 with 430K on it. Hated to see it go but it needs about $1,000 worth of parts to make it right. So this summer I'm taking it up to Hudson NH speedway for the spectators race. Guess you can tell the milage because of the worn paint on the nose.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:36 AM
If I my suggest, can you save the rear quarter windows and trim before you send her away. The little plastic mechanisms that flip out the windows can break and will get impossible to find over time. Under the trim at the bottom of the quarter window is several very small flimsy plastic keepers that hold the trim on - you'll be lucky to save a few at best but again something very hard to source. The Black trim around the drip molding can be saved and even used on models with the bright trim as John has figured out a way to get the black finish off for those that need to. Just some items Coupes use and someone might be asking for someday.

The Rear Hubs come off too with 4 bolts and can be Lag Bolted on a 6x6 to make a cart or even make a trailer if you have access to some steel and a welder.

John, even though your Coupe Doors are roasted....you can probably still salvage the internals out of them , and the passenger side- side view mirrors are not available from part stores anymore. If it is still in good condition it certainly would be a keeper too.

If I my suggest, can you save the rear quarter windows and trim before you send her away. The little plastic mechanisms that flip out the windows can break and will get impossible to find over time. Under the trim at the bottom of the quarter window is several very small flimsy plastic keepers that hold the trim on - you'll be lucky to save a few at best but again something very hard to source. The Black trim around the drip molding can be saved and even used on models with the bright trim as John has figured out a way to get the black finish off for those that need to. Just some items Coupes use and someone might be asking for someday.

The Rear Hubs come off too with 4 bolts and can be Lag Bolted on a 6x6 to make a cart or even make a trailer if you have access to some steel and a welder.

John, even though your Coupe Doors are roasted....you can probably still salvage the internals out of them , and the passenger side- side view mirrors are not available from part stores anymore. If it is still in good condition it certainly would be a keeper too.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:40 AM
I am completely dumbfounded how on earth that post was double printed.......that's a new one on me ...haa haa :

Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:13 PM
Did you have plans for that extra rubber hanging off the rear bumper? I'd be interested in seeing a better pic of it and buying it from you if you're willing to sell.
Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:47 PM
Wayne the plan is to hold onto the rear air dam until the car project is painted and completed to be able to mock it up on the car for final decision at that time. I hope to be to that point in September, so please check back with me on it's availability at that time. Thank you for the interest.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:18 AM
Wow - nice before and after

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:30 PM
If the rubber seals are still good around the quarter glass you save those too. Those parts are obsolete and hard to find.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search